• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to run 4 gauge or bigger wire through the firewall?

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering where you all have run your "big" power wires for your amps? I am not a fan of running the power wire under the cab so I want to go through the firewall, and was hoping someone might clue me in if there was an unused grommet or something hiding like there are on many different vehicles. I do have factory AC but no power windows or locks...not sure if that helps.

I do plan on putting a sealed cell type battery in the the back of my ext cab as I will be running a "modest" old school system with around 1000 watts class A/B...no junk stuff either.. and a pair of Sundown 8" SD4(incredibly small box space required). Basically will keep the box just tall enough for the subs and the battery to lie on its side(sealed can do that right???)...

Not sure how many other Audio nuts are on this forum but thought I would post up my plans and see if any one had any ideas or suggestions... I just hate crawling around on my head looking for a good place to run thick power wire, when there might be a good place already there...been there done that on other installs in the past....(I am a former installer...many years and pounds ago..lol)..

Thanks....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Auto or stick?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Emergency Brake cable hole has enough room, and should be grommeted.
Popular place to run CB radio or other added antenna wires as well

Under cab is not that bad, just put wire(s) in a conduit in frame rail, not expensive, use plastic(PVC) conduit, thick wall, no rust, easier to work with and won't chafe wires, and they have fittings, used on electrical boxes, for "thru metal" seals

Last edited:

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I pulled my fuse box and battery out and drilled a 1" hole in the firewall to the right of the brake booster and just above the main fuse box connection point. It's out of the way and the hole is large enough to run multiple wires through it for future modifications.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
There's a grommet there close big enough to stick an awl thru a side of it then your wire. Make sure the amp ground is 18" or less and a ring terminal on clean shiny chassis metal. I have big clean sound with Infinity coaxials in front doors and a 10" sealed downfire behind driver seat. I am Pioneer - Alpine - Infinity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals