• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95-97 Brakes on 90 4x4

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
While trying to figure out why my parking brake light and rabs light are both on, I decided I was going to overhaul the brake system on 1990 2.9L 4x4 Ranger, (Rotors, pads, Calipers, Hoses) and figured why not upgrade to the bigger rotors and 2 piston calipers from the 95-97 rangers. I have a few questions and would like to confirm everything I need. Based on my research I’ll need the

1. Steering knuckles from a 95-97 Ranger
2. Both Calipers from a 95-97 Ranger
3. 2 caliper Brackets from a 95-97 Ranger
4. Both Rotors from a 95-97 Ranger
5. Pads for a 95-97 Ranger
6. Non Abs hose for a 97 Ranger (Just driver side, or passenger side too?)

It’s possible I’m overthinking this, but I want to be sure before I order parts and attempt to tackle this job.

I was probably going to try to find a 95-97 ranger as a donor vehicle to get at least the steering knuckles from. I may grab calipers and brackets from the donor depending on the condition, but I’ll probably buy the calipers, caliper brackets, rotors, pads, and hoses brand new from rockauto.

Questions:

1) Will I need any other parts aside from what I have listed above?

2) Since my truck is a 4x4 with dana 35 axle, does the donor ranger also need to be a 4x4, or can it be 2wd? (Specifically does the steering knuckle need to be from a 4x4, 2wd, or are they the same ie: doesn’t matter?)

3) When I look on rockauto, the 97 ranger calipers, brackets, and rotors all delineate between 4wd and 2wd. But all the 4x4 97 rangers had 4 wheel abs whereas my ranger only has RABS. So should I be buying the calipers, rotors, brackets, etc… for a 97 4x4 or a 97 2wd with RABS only?

4) Can anyone confirm exactly which abs hose I need from the 97. As I see 3 different kinds.
a) 2wd with 4 wheel abs
b) 2wd with rear abs only (My 1st guess)
c) 4x4 with 4 wheel abs (My 2nd Guess)
d) Or would it just be easier to try to find an aftermarket S.S. brake line for a 97 ranger? Suggestions?

Sorry if any of this has been covered before, I found a lot of info on this so far, but nothing specifically answering if I need a 4wd donor or a 2wd donor… Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Truck notes:
1990 Ford Ranger xlt 2.9L 4x4. Standard cab, long bed.
Dana 35 front axle with 7.5” rear axle with 10” drums
5 spd Manual transmission Mazda M50D-R1 4x4 version
currently stock height, may eventually get a 2" lift or so

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW 95+ beams have different turn stops for the knuckles to hit than earlier trucks, something will need to be done there.

Your axle is 4wd so don't pay any attention to the 2wd stuff, it is different. Grab every good set of splash shields you can find, they are exclusive to the 95-97 4wd Rangers and it is common for them to rot out around the screw holes.

My Ranger has no ABS and while my '95 D35 had 4 wheel ABS it no longer will. I picked up a set of brake lines for rear ABS for a '95. No idea how they fit, they are still in the box. Rotors wont matter for you ABS vs non ABS, get what is cheaper.

A lot of remain calipers come with reman brackets too. I bought a complete axle from a guy that was cutting up the truck so I had cores.

I am not sure a 2.9 truck had a D35 from the factory, triple confirm this before buying knuckles for it. Really getting the whole axle so you get the right turn stops would almost be a better way to go anyway.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1990 RBVs built after I believe 12/89 will have a D35. My both my '91 & '92 2.3s came factory with true D35s.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually any 1990 model year Ranger or Bronco2 produced starting 11-89 will have a Dana35 front axle.

And yes you will need to get the knuckles off a 4x4 for a 4x4.

And yes you are best off getting the entire axle not only for the different steering stop, but for spare internal parts, as none of that stuff is manufactured any more...

I will stop short of saying that the two piston calipers will give you "better" brakes, I will say that the two piston brakes offer several engineering advantages.... first, that the bolted on caliper bracket makes the steering knuckle for 1995-97 a NON-Wear item like the previous Ranger front axles. second it provides positive location for the brake pads.

The two piston brakes are simply more consistant , meaning that the earlier split -pin system was NOT consistant!

If your Ranger has the single piston brakes and the pedal is not at a consistant pedal height,
the cause is usually a worn steering knuckle

Look in the upper notch that locates the inner brake pad and it'll usually be "ramped" on the side closest to the disc surface..

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals