• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well my last post wasn't ever answered but i got a new idea in mind anyway.. I have a 2002 ranger and want to swap out my 2.3 l 2wd and put a 5.0 4wd in.. Im looking for a cheap way to swap everything and was planning on finding a parts truck at the junk yard or a couple parts trucks that have all the parts neccessary to do the swap.. I'd like to ask what all do i need to change to make sure everything is running and to make the 4wd work? Also what models do i have more of a chance of finding a 4wd manual trans with a 5.0? I have some basic knowledge on things but this is my first motor swap and first change over to 4wd and still have much yet to learn.. Thanks for any replies in advance!

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Manual trans out a 5.0 mustang
And complete donor explorer preferably 98ish to delete pats but any year would work truthfully i believe. Most the answers your searching for are in the tech sec. And by using that virgin search bar.

You will have to have the ecm be reprogramed to not be looking for a trans since all explorers where autos.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Also the best would be to sas the truck and use a manual t-case

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your 2002 2WD is running OK then I would look at finding a 4x4 ranger that isn't, bad motor or transmission.
Sell the 2002 and install V8 and trans in the 4x4, this would probably be least money out of pocket and best end result

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Ron has a point.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
But wouldn't i have to change the front axle and rear end anyway to make it compatible for a 5.0?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The truck to buy to replace that 2002 would be a "99-2000" 4.0L 4x4. Already would have the good 8.8 rear end and the front drivetrain has proven to be just fine with the V-8power. Going back to the 98-2000 would greatly simplify the wiring. Radiator usually proves to be just fine also. Easiest swap there is, well documented up in the tech library. If you have gotten into swapping a motor before, this would be the cheapest and easiest way to start.
Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, tool ate my 1st posting attempt; so, here is try two:

Seasoned forum members answer specific, researched questions more quickly/thoroughly than blanket, naive ones. (At least that has been my experience).

I can’t tell from your picture if your truck has coils or torsion bars. If it has coils – buy a new truck; the effort to remove the coil mounts and install torsion mounts to make it a 4x4 is not worth the effort.

If it has torsion bars; we’re still talking. Your truck is a manual, so a little different than the links RonD provided but read that link as it provides an excellent starting point.

IMHO: for all ‘98+ conversions: Get a ’99-’00 Explorer/Mountaineer for donor parts. (Staying returnless is far simpler than finding a ’93-’97 with return line and installing them; the installation looks cleaner to). And get the Ford manuals for the donor and your truck especially if you are going from 2WD to 4WD. They will save you from asking naive questions.

The following is kind of a staged approach that allows you to do about long weekend’s work; and have a working truck again for next week. It uses commonly available Ford parts for most part.

You can pull the front axle out of the Explorer and install it in your Ranger – just pretend you are doing a ’98-’00 vacuum hub upgrade: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/99hubswap.htm . Technically, you can do axle housing, left and right side axles on separate weekends (Just do both axles at same time, otherwise it would be really hard on differential).

For the rear, you don’t ‘have’ to replace your 7.5” immediately; but if you are going to run it hard, eventually it will give up. If you can weld: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml . Otherwise, go to wrecker and get an 8.8” out of Ranger. (I don’t trust my welding; did wrecker, As I reused my existing brakes, cost was less than C note).

Pull the Explorer engine, and remove flexplate.

Find an M5ODR-2 transmission / transfer case BW1356 or BW4406* out of ’92-’08 F-150 with 4.2l V-6 or 4.9l I-6 or 5.0l V-8 (don’t get the 4.6l V-8 one). If you pick a ’92-’96 combination from a 5.0l equipped truck, you can get the pressure plate, and flywheel too. You could get the clutch disc too, but I would recommend changing it before putting everything into truck. So, much easier to replace outside the truck than underneath. I changed my pilot bearing too. Older combinations are much more likely to have manual shifters.

*The full size transfer cases will be ‘cosy’ fit within the Ranger’s rails – slotting engine mounts and easing engine/transmission slightly to passenger side is recommended. When you install the F-150 transfer case, the front axle yoke winds up in same position fore/aft as it would have been using a stock transmission/transfer case. But, you need a conversion u-joint to connect the front Explorer drive shaft. The F-150 transfer case is much longer and uses a slip joint. So, you will need to get the rear driveshaft shortened (~12” less than that of Explorer, with F-150 slip yoke on it). I would recommend a driveshaft loop as the front u-joint on the rear driveshaft is in a bad position relative to the fuel tank.

Bolt the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/transmission/transfer case onto engine and drop in following instructions from tech forum.

Take PCM to local Mustang tuner and have them remove PATS. You should now be able to limp truck to the tuner where he can make it hum.

I’m doing a 5.0l to M5ODR-2 on my 2WD ’98. As it has coil springs, it needs custom engine mounts – available from Stradashop on RPS. I'm using '96 M5ODR-2 from '96 F-150. I like the wider ratio of the M5ODR-2 as it allows me to run higher ratio (lower numeric) rear end to get better mileage. In a 4WD, it would allow slower creep...

If I had an automatic; the 4R70W from a 3.8l Mustang, along with the aforementioned custom engine mounts makes a simple swap. (2WD Explorers with 5.0l being rare).

Don

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
I think you got a really good answer from don. Hell i even learned a little.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Find an M5ODR-2 transmission / transfer case BW1356 or BW4406* out of ’92-’08 F-150 with 4.2l V-6 or 4.9l I-6 or 5.0l V-8 (don’t get the 4.6l V-8 one). If you pick a ’92-’96 combination from a 5.0l equipped truck, you can get the pressure plate, and flywheel too. You could get the clutch disc too, but I would recommend changing it before putting everything into truck. So, much easier to replace outside the truck than underneath. I changed my pilot bearing too. Older combinations are much more likely to have manual shifters.
The 97-03 (and maybe up to 08 when they died off) 4.2 M5OD's have the shifter more to the rear similar to the RBV's M5OD so it fits through the hole much better than the earlier ones. The 4.2 bellhousing bolts need enlarged from the 4.2's metric to the 5.0's standard hole size.

The full size transfer cases will be ‘cosy’ fit within the Ranger’s rails – slotting engine mounts and easing engine/transmission slightly to passenger side is recommended. When you install the F-150 transfer case, the front axle yoke winds up in same position fore/aft as it would have been using a stock transmission/transfer case. But, you need a conversion u-joint to connect the front Explorer drive shaft. The F-150 transfer case is much longer and uses a slip joint. So, you will need to get the rear driveshaft shortened (~12” less than that of Explorer, with F-150 slip yoke on it). I would recommend a driveshaft loop as the front u-joint on the rear driveshaft is in a bad position relative to the fuel tank.
There are other more compact t-cases out there too, NP-205 and NP-208's are pretty common.

I have a fixed rear yoke NP-208 from a 1980's fullsize bronco waiting in the barn for me to sneak up on a M5OD.

If I had an automatic; the 4R70W from a 3.8l Mustang, along with the aforementioned custom engine mounts makes a simple swap. (2WD Explorers with 5.0l being rare).
Ford being Ford there are probably some strength differences between a 3.8 4R70W and say a F-150 4R70W. I would stick with a V8 trans from a F-150, probably easier to find and extract than one from a Mustang too.

You might check into a solid axle swap (SAS) if you want to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Probably the easiest way to go about it short of buying a different truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well Don it does have coils.. The problem with buying a new truck is i just got this a little over a month ago lol.. And you are saying im going to need two donors, an explorer and a f-150 correct? I'd really like this to be done esp after i discovered today my 150,000 mile 2.3l is burning oil and id rather not sink any money into that motor.. Approx how much would any of you assume a build like this cost?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
My 2wd swap is at around 4k so far but im rebuilding everything...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well Don it does have coils.. The problem with buying a new truck is i just got this a little over a month ago lol.. And you are saying im going to need two donors, an explorer and a f-150 correct? I'd really like this to be done esp after i discovered today my 150,000 mile 2.3l is burning oil and id rather not sink any money into that motor.. Approx how much would any of you assume a build like this cost?
People buy a 2WD 2.3l Ranger for the economy of the 4cyl and the hauling uses of a pickup.

Cost of converting this to an uneconomical(4x4, bigger engine) pickup, would be a mis-alocation of funds, in my opinion.
First, conversions are worth less than the money spent, so they are a labor of love.
Second, they can be a PITA to repair because of the different years of parts involved, "was that a '94 or '98 transfer case?"

You currently have something that is stock so has a market value to those that want an economical P/U truck.
Repairing the current engine would add value, assuming it was done well, and would cost the least amount.
You could then drive it while it is for sale, watching local sources for 4x4's with a cheap price.

Staying with 2WD and upgrading to bigger engine, trans and differential, would be much less than 4x4 conversion, but you will have the same "Frankenstein" effect of a non-stock vehicle, so worth less than invested, and you don't have the 4x4 you want.

IMO, fix it, sell it and get something that is closer to what you want as the end result.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rebuilding the stock engine will probably exceed the value of a 12 year old 2wd 4cyl 150k truck.

The cheapest route would be to find a used 2.3 of similar year and dump it.

You don't do swaps (or fix cars) for an investment, you have to do it because YOU want to.

Some people drink, some smoke, some gamble, some have cable/internet... I have my Ranger. :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals