• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Swap Tranny Trashed Need Help!

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, I did my engine swap, 302 and M5R2 last spring. Been driving it this winter with a few bugs to be worked on, mainly carburetion. My tranny went out in a grinding flash last night just as I got home. Started it up this morning and it was worse than expected. In short, I need another trans. I used a 01 f150 V-6 M5R2, as shown in my build. I didn't have a speedo cable because I had to take what I could get in a trans to get on the road again.

Does anyone know if all the R2s are the same physically. I know I can use a 97-98 since they still had the speedo cable in the extension housing. Will earlier models work? Which years will bolt to the 302? The reason I ask is that I can't find a 97-98 around here at all and it's cheaper to buy a good used trans than rebuild this one. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check out car-part.com, they're showing a number of the boxes available in Indiana

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
the top cover is different. the older ones I believe have the shifter in a different spot but you can swap the top cover fairly easy

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
To bad you aren't closer I have a m5od r2 in my garage out of a 89 or 90 f150 with a 4.9. I think it needs a shift fork

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
the top cover is different. the older ones I believe have the shifter in a different spot but you can swap the top cover fairly easy
The top covers have different shift forks, you would have to grind down the v6 top cover to fit it on the v8 tranny.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome guys ty. I checked the site and there were alot in Indiana and some even had hardly any miles on them. Going to check that out. Prob pick one up next weekend.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
U have to use a tranny frm a 4.2,4.9,5.0. The 4.6 has different bolt pattern on trans bell housing. All 5 speeds up to 96 ul have to change ur upper plate frm the trans u got. Its a direct swap. 97-03 are the ideal trans. As for speedo. Alot of transfer cases have speedo in them. I run np208 frm ford bronco. Speedo cable bolts in just like stock bw1350.

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a 97 out of a 4.2 f-150 2wd using car-part.com just south of Indy. Picking it up tomorrow. Only has 20k miles on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals