• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 (5.0?) into which 4x4 ranger?

Rterry

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Had to register after not finding what I was looking for after 2 hours of googling.

I'm trying to decide on what ranger to buy to convert to a v8 with manual 4x4. I've been looking around at 95 rangers thinking they would be the easiest due to no OBD2. Also easier to register here in MO. I can't find anything on that year though. They are all auto trans swaps. Only thing I have come across is someone saying use an explorer 5 liter mounted to a 4.2 v6 transmission and transfer case. If it's that easy I'd be happy.

So would 93 - 95 be the best year for this or would newer be better. If you had to buy a truck to do this what would you hunt for and what parts car?

Thanks

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That all depends on what u want. Do u want efi or carb?no matter which u choose stay with a rollerblock 302. More hp. Easier to upgrade later. To go efi a 5.0 ford explorer is bolt in swap pretty much. U can use late 80s to 96 r2 but ul have to change shift plate frm 97-03 r2 trans. The newer ranger have spoesometer in rearends. So thatl help u on tcase. Where as like mines an 85 it was in tcase. So i went with 85 model no208 tcase. Theres hundreds of options to choose. It really comes down to what body style ranger do u want and get. Then u go frm there.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If ur going with 93-95 ranger when it comes time for clutch master cylinder. Ul need to do what teddyezee did. And use bigger bore master. But its all here on these pages. First get ur truck. Then ul knw what u have to work with. Cuz every build is diff. I aint seen two alike yet. Have fun with it. Mine had me beating my head against a wall a few times. But. Shes finally gettin there.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
If you can find a '95 series in good condition that is the way to go.
There are a lot of engine kits out there for the year range, more lift kits for the range and and the headers are straight forward not the twisted mess for the '98 plus Rangers.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If ur going with 93-95 ranger when it comes time for clutch master cylinder. Ul need to do what teddyezee did. And use bigger bore master. But its all here on these pages. First get ur truck. Then ul knw what u have to work with. Cuz every build is diff. I aint seen two alike yet. Have fun with it. Mine had me beating my head against a wall a few times. But. Shes finally gettin there.
IIRC Teddy used a T5, the M5OD out of a 4.2 F-150 is supposed to work ok with a stock Ranger master.

Also I think it was '95 (may be '96) when they switched radiator mounts. That would allow a 5.0 Explorer radiator to be a drop in install (with an Explorer front accessory drive on the engine)

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
U only wanta use the older 2 row explorer radiator. The newer one is to tall and wide. Danger ranger used the big one but it took massive mods. The older 91-93 2 row has a little modification but fits nicely. Even with f150 fead

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4.2 will work with 89 ford ranger slave master and clutch line. I bought whole kit frm bumper to bumper. It shift fine. 11 in clutch. By teddyzee i meant u gota cut the bracket and install the larger master. And u have to match master cylindrr and slave or ul have problems

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
U only wanta use the older 2 row explorer radiator. The newer one is to tall and wide. Danger ranger used the big one but it took massive mods. The older 91-93 2 row has a little modification but fits nicely. Even with f150 fead
The newer Rangers use the same exact radiator as a 5.0 Explorer except it is one row. It is no more difficult to upgrade a 95 or 96 Ranger to a 5.0 Explorer radiator than it is to upgrade a 83-94 or 95 Ranger to the two row Explorer radiator.

However fitting the barely adaquate 2 row 91-94 Explorer radiator to the later truck would be too big of a PITA for a just barely big enough radiator... and stupid considering there is an OEM radiator designed to cool a 5.0 that will drop in.

Like I said earlier right around the 95-96 time frame Ford changed the Ranger's radiator mounts to be like those those in an Explorer.

SVTRanger has a detailed build thread on putting an Explorer 5.0 into a later style truck.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=850113#post850113

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals