• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II won't start

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am a noob not only to the forum but to the Bronco II in general. So far from what I have seen this a great forum. I was given my Bronco II by my father in-law. At the time it needed brakes, and the power windows didn't work. Well I fixed the brakes and then moved on to the windows. In the process of trying to find the power window relay ( which I still haven't found) I mistakenly disconnected all of the three relays under the power distrubition block on the passenger side fender well. Well now the Bronco won't start. I don't here the fuel pump come on before trying to start. I checked the inertia switch and it is working properly, but I am getting no power to the lead. I can hear clicking from the relays when I turn on the switch. I am new to the Bronco and EFI, and I just can't figure this out. PLEASE HELP!!!!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you put the relays back in the same connectors you took them out of. If it was running before you pulled the relays it has to be there.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well let me start by saying welcome to TRS! If you put the relays in the power box back directly where they were removed from, check to make sure they are inserted properly and that one didn't short out. Not many people (outside of us who are insane enough to own RBVs :icon_hornsup:) think to check the inertia switch so kudos. I had the 2.8 carb and moved up to a 4.0 EFI so not positive on the orientation of the relays but make sure if possible, they were not inverted. I try to help the best I can but Kim is one of the best sources for info on any 2.8 imo, and adsm08 is also a RBV genius. Keep checking in and searching the forums. All of us are here to help each other out. Good luck!! :D

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never hurts to check your grounds either. Esp the one from the engine to the frame

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did put them back in their original positions. I am thinking I may have shorted one out, but I can't say for sure. There is also a white relay under there as well but I believe that is for A/C. I guess I will start changing relays and see if that fixes the problem. Anyone have any clue where the grounds are for those relays so I can check those as well? Thanks for the diagram Earl43P that will help alot. Thanks for the info everyone!

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just wanted to say thanks to all of you. I changed out the relays this evening and she fired right up! Now I have to figure out where this bad knock in the motor has came from all of a sudden.......

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Might be lifter tap. That's pretty common on 2.9L engines.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I thought about that, but this is way louder than any lifter tap I have ever heard, but my only experience is with SBC and BBC engines. It seems to be louder on the bottom end than the top. Any clue what I might can do to try and figure out where it is coming from? Will some Marvel Mystery Oil or something along that line help it any?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Hows the oil pressure and how old is the oil. If it is a knock there is no magical fix normally a fatal symptom. You can check the timing chain pull the cap off the dizzy and turn the crank back and fourth and see how far it turns before moving the rotor possibly the chain slappng the cover hopefully. If it turns out being a connecting rod the 4.0 swap would be a good option but I prefer bone yard engines and look for the engine/wiring fire ones no front end crashes the engine usually dosent over rev they usually just stop or shut down fast. Put a gasket set and oil pump in while it is apart. Let us know what you find out.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to have to hook up an oil pressure gauge to check the pressure. The one on the dash is not working at all. At least I hope its not working. I thought about the timing chain. I had one do that to me in a SBC before so I may check that as well. The timing of this showing up is just odd afte working on all this other stuff. Before I started messing with it over the weekend it was fine, but I don't see how messing with electrical issues could cause a knock like this. At this point if it turns out to be a fatal sympton like a rod knock. I will definitely pull out the engine, but if I do that it's getting a V8 for sure!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals