• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overheating, heater core maby??

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Driving home today I notices steam coming through my air vents and I heard a bubbling noise. So I pulled over... Instantly lol. Popped the hood, and the radiator started overflowing at the cap, then the overflow canister was boiling and steaming over. The hissing and boiling sound was coming from the heater core, which was over flowing into the cab and down the firewall.

I was only going about 35mph and its about mid 80's outside, so it wasn't the texas heat getting to it. My temp gauge is broken so I have no clue how hot it got.

I drove it home with not too much trouble and its cooling off now. Should I just loop the hose over and return it back to the water pump, bypassing the heater core until I can get a new one? Or do yall think its something besides the heater core?

Thanks guys.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
first of all... i'd fix the temp gauge.
second, check fluid again. then thermostat.. maybe even cut the middle out of the thermo and see if it still gets hot. and bypass the heater core like you said.
a temp gauge is one that i'd make sure worked.. the sending unit for it is cheap. or get an aftermarket one and put on it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Few things....

First, flush out the rad. Make sure it isn't plugged up. Then get a cap, they are usually less than $10.

Second, make sure your water pump is working. At least pull it off and make sure the vanes aren't gummed up.

Third, go ahead and by-pass the heater core. I'll bet it popped from too much pressure in the system.

Fourth, check all your hoses, make sure none are split.

Finally, while temp gauges are an important thing to have (especially on the 2.9) tap the wire, don't replace it outright with an aftermarket one. If you leave the computer out of the loop the engine will never run quite right and get crappy mileage.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Finally, while temp gauges are an important thing to have (especially on the 2.9) tap the wire, don't replace it outright with an aftermarket one. If you leave the computer out of the loop the engine will never run quite right and get crappy mileage.
The temp sending unit has nothing to do with the computer at all, just drives the guage. I think you're talking about the coolant temp sensor.

Otherwise, what everyone else said.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, its 2 different things. one for the gauge, one for the computer
that list is good tho, just remember with a bypassed heater core, you get no heat coming thru your vents lol

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
He`s in texas don`t need heat. No the heater core is a symptom of the problem it could have been the cap not releasing pressure with high pressure the cooling system won`t work properly. I would get the cap and sender and loop the core hose and see where it stands. If it still gets hot change the t-stat and flush the radiator still hot replace the water pump. If it builds up pressure real quick leave the cap off when running and see if it bubbles constantly signs of head gasket or cracked head. also check the oil for signs of water or loss of coolant from the coolant reservor. I always start cheapest first look for bubbles when running or any leaks when system under pressure but the cap and sensor a must.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The temp sending unit has nothing to do with the computer at all, just drives the guage. I think you're talking about the coolant temp sensor.

Otherwise, what everyone else said.
Some vehicles share them, I deal with dozens of cars in a week, mostly MY 2000 or newer, I can't keep track of all of them. Also, some people (like the PO of my dad's truck) use the wrong sensor for their aftermarket gauges and leave me 4 years later still trying to sort out the wiring mess (The PO is 4 years dead and I am still finding screwed up stuff that he mis-wired) so I can fix the check engine light.

That was more a caution to be careful than a warning against the use of an aftermarket gauge.

EDIT: That reminds me. I need to start drawing up revised wiring diagrams for my own truck so that the next poor sap who has to work on it isn't left in my current electrical position.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i had an aftermarket one on my 2.9 motor.. and it worked fine. i just fixed the dash cluster when i did the motor swap so when back to the stock one.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I by passed the heater core. No more problems. Replaced heater core, all is back to normal. And like I said, the temp gauge is broken, not the sensor. Punched the dash, needle broke off the gauge, long story, stupid women... Local JY wants 150 bucks for gauge cluster on a Bii. So I'm dealing without it for now. Thanks for the input though guys, and sorry I didn't get to reply sooner.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Does your cluster have a tach or no? I have two spare tach clusters I'd hook you up with for a lot less than $150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals