• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Explorer project...

LOGANSTANFORTH

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's essentially what the Stonecrusher's geometry is like, so that should work well.

You MIGHT still need the larger SJ drop pitman arm though if it still wants to do a side-side wiggle through dips at intersections (you are up pretty high it looks like), though what I would do it try it on the arm you have now first and see how it drives, then go from there.
It has to work better than what I got now, I will go to the junkyard and buy a steering setup off another Explorer and modify it to my needs so I don't end up with a totally screwed setup if this don't work. On the driver side tie rod I will just cut it in half so the stock half is still connected to the knuckle and extend it with some thick wall tubing and on the other end I will put a bung and a heim to connect to the saddle I'm going to build. I wish I could keep from having to use heims but I would rather only use 1 than 4 in the system...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A guy on here (Snowthrower IIRC) years ago built one using 3 stock draglinks, and used all TREs.

What he did was cut the tapered hole part out of one draglink and welded it onto his stock draglink in such a position so that he could then take yet another (3rd) draglink and use it as his driverside tierod.

The setup was a bit ugly, but it worked quite well.

There were pics of his setup on here at one time but I seem to recall they were lost in one of the forum changes we had back around '07.

LOGANSTANFORTH

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A guy on here (Snowthrower IIRC) years ago built one using 3 stock draglinks, and used all TREs.

What he did was cut the tapered hole part out of one draglink and welded it onto his stock draglink in such a position so that he could then take yet another (3rd) draglink and use it as his driverside tierod.

The setup was a bit ugly, but it worked quite well.

There were pics of his setup on here at one time but I seem to recall they were lost in one of the forum changes we had back around '07.
I am going to buy a new driver side tierod and go to the race car supply house and see if they got any threaded or swedge tubes that will work with them...

LOGANSTANFORTH

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
***UPDATE***

Neighbor is giving me a full width 44 and 9 inch out from under a SASed S10 that he is going to scrap with a set of 15x10 aluminum wheels, just for rebuilding two carburetors for him.

Front...

Rebuild with new seals and bearings
Regear to 4.56 to match 9 inch that is already geared to 4.56
Limited slip or aussie locker
1 piece coil/control arm mounts (similar to these but not from Ballistic)
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Flat-bottom-radius-arm-coil-mounts_p_1184.html
"Y" style tube radius arm setup with heims at the frame and bushings at the axle
Heimed cross-over steering.

Rear...

Rebuild with new seals and bearings
Install locking differential of some type
"Daytona" pinion support
Swap to disk brakes.

The money I would spend correcting the steering on my Explorer will buy most, if not all, of my parts...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals