• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 JKU armor build up

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
The parts I've collected:
Currie Anti-rock
Rock Hard sport cage
Rock hard skids (minus the muffler skid)

This weekend i got 99% done with the cage. i need to put a couple more bolts in the uprights cause I damaged two of them but it's all in.

One design thing i really disliked were the uprights - the drilling template they have kind of sucks, and the holes didn't line up well. Wish they came without being pre-drilled so that you could just drill the seam, and then tap it yourself. Would work so much better. The rest of the installation is pretty smooth.

The anti-rock was pretty easy, but I can't get one side over the splines. They don't look damaged to me, but it's being tough. Not sure sure how to deal with that yet.

Here's an imgur album with the photos - having problems attaching this morning ROLL CAGE INSTALL

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Made decent progress yesterday getting everything off and loosened. The stock oil pan skid is out. The transfer case skid was a lot more beat up though and was tougher. 1 missing bolt, 2 flattened bolts, and the one attached to the fuel tank skid had its bung break.

Today I'll cut out the bolt for the transfer case skid since its not reused and then start installing new skids, hopefully will have time to finish today, or at least get the bulk done

Some photos:

Their skid system - engine, transfer case, fuel tank. I didn't get the evap one since mine is relocated

Beat up fuel tank skid:

Another view of the beat up fuel tank skid:

The photo doesnt do it justice, but this bolt head was at about a 45 deg angle. I was able to hammer a socket on it and get it off thankfully

Random photo when I was trying to figure out what was going on - taking the fuel tank transfer case bolt off I felt a snap, but the bolt head was still there. It didn't look like a bung or a nut or something in there, but I couldn't feel it because it was totally full of dirt. So nasty. After trying to fiddle with it for a bit I decided to just cut it out and put a nut on the new bolt from Rock Hard

Today I hope to cut the crossmember off real quick and start installing. All the bolts that need to come off are on only finger tight right now, so fingers crossed it should be pretty straight forward.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Got basically done, but with one problem left to deal with. Today all I had left was getting the engine/oil pan skid and then drilling the last hole for the fuel tank where you have to remove the tire.

Yesterday I got screwy and put the brackets for the front of the skid in backwards and got all turned around. Hit up the youtube vid with their install instructions and got myself right today.

Drivers Side:

Passenger side:

I had put the transfer case skid bolts in finger tight so it wouldnt hang, so I took those off and attached with their fancy washers and the front was all set:

Finishing the rear was pretty straight forward, with another pocket I had to clear of mud:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Fx6oXWCg7aw/VWN2VhBzxpI/AAAAAAAAn-0/OlREzanloAs/w1140-h855-no/IMG_20150525_135042.jpg

Here's the problem I had - At the front of the fuel tank skid there's two bolts that go into the crossmember there. For one I broke the head off, and the second the welds broke on the bung. I'm pretty disappointed with how they were welded in - just little spot welds at each of the corners. I'm thinking for the one that broke I might drill through the crossmember and just run a long bolt through it. No idea about the other - my extractors didnt make a dent in the bolt to try and get it out, and it's too close to the fuel tank for me to feel comfortable heating it up.

Here's the finished look going from front to back:

Does anyone want any crossmember mud? From the look of it I'd say it's from Uhwarrie

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
My jeep is pretty done for now other than regular maintenance. Sometime in the future I'd like to redo the rear control arms, but that's not especially important. I've got some punch list stuff to take care of but nothing major now that the cage and skids are in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals