• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towed box trailer

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
towed a fully enclosed 14ft tandem axle utility trailer... about 2500lbs total load, truck did very very well, accelerating up to about 50 didnt take much effort. After 50, and going up hills and stuff trying to maintain 65-70mph there were alot of drops to 4th gear cuz the thing is like a sail, terrible aerodynamics and alot of air resistance at that speed. overall very impressed, i got 14.2mpg on a 170mile trip all towing.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i wouldnt use 5th at all, my box trailer is a 6x10 8ft tall V-nose and above 50 you can feel the wind resistance. trailer weighs about 1,000 empty. cant get much over 12 mpg either, try to go 65 and the fuel milage really goes south. ive thought about going to lower gearing (have 3.73's now) but no more than i tow and with 2 differentials to regear, i just live with it. i have acces to a full-size bronco with a 351 if i really want to have more omph, cant be any worse on fuel than my 4.0, and it wont be working as hard to tow.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i was hesitant to leave it in overdrive at first but it did fine, any heavier and i would have turned o/d off (auto trans)...but i have 4.10s so im sure that helped me out a little bit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals