• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to forum..looking for help with revamped 4.0 e vin into 99 3.0 ranger

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Been lurking for coupe weeks..trying gather enough info to swap 3.0 for 4.0...old guy 60 years old..master mechanic on heavy and medium duty trucks..semis...been building hot rods n 4x4's for years...so the doing isn't a problem...just need you guys brain power...lots of good info here..

So far i have gathered that the 4.0 from 03 up is the improved tensioner ...and that i need ecm from donor and trans..my 3.0 has bad trans anyway...i was looking today at pick n pull..and noticed some explorers lacked the ecm plug location that matched mine 99...and do i need the gas tank due to the different fuel pressures....

Sure there's allot of other questions I'll have to ask as the swap is preformed...just trying to get my info straight so i can find the proper motor and related parts o get the job done

I really like the hp and torque numbers listed for these 03 up revamped 4.0 's

Thanks and great to find this forum...mark

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Not a great swap because its the same work as a V8 swap but you still have the V6
And you can buy a factory 4.0l SOHC Ranger

4.0l SOHC specs 205HP but that's ONLY running 93octane fuel, it runs 9.7:1 compression to get the higher HP, so they had to add a Knock sensor to run 87octane, which cuts HP/torque down quite a bit.

'98 and up Rangers used Returnless Fuel system, 60-70psi pressure, so '99 tank and pump are fine to use with '03 4.0l fuel rail and injectors.
You will need an '01 to '04 ECM, and engine wiring harness, from a Ranger 4.0l with matching transmission, i.e. ECM will either be for a manual or automatic, they can't be interchanged, '03 would be best since thats the year of your 4.0l.
I think it was '05 or '06 when Rangers got full digital instrument clusters, ECM was used for that, so not sure if '05 and up ECM will work without issues
2WD or 4WD don't matter with ECM

You will also have to deal with PATS(passive anti-theft system) found in all Ford ECMs from around 1999 and up.
PATS uses an RFID tag embedded in the handle of the key, there is an antenna around the key cylinder that reads the tag when key is turned on.
Each PATS key has unique tag number
The ECM has a list of 3 keys programmed in at the factory, if Tag number matches engine will start, if not then no start.
Your '99 Ranger PATS keys can be added to the new 4.0l ECM, but you need to pay a mobile locksmith to do it, Keys can only be added once ECM is installed in the vehicle, so you can't drop-off ECM and have keys added.

There are ECM programmers that can delete PATS test, they can also fine tune ECM for your needs, i.e. more power, lol, so second option dealing with PATS.

Last edited:

Mark56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good info...i guess that leaves me with 2 questions..for now...all of the 2002 and up explorers I've seen o far all have a different ecm plug and its not located on the upper firewall like on on my 99 and a few 01 rangers i've looked at...the newer xplopers have the plugs low over on the passengers side..do i need a wiring setup from 99 thru 01 ranger? And will it work on the 02 and up 40 sohc motor?
Big question..what's it take to stuff a 5.0 in my 99 ranger?

Thanks for all the great info..big help!

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
Nth 6ymyhy
Been lurking for coupe weeks..trying gather enough info to swap 3.0 for 4.0...old guy 60 years old..master mechanic on heavy and medium duty trucks..semis...been building hot rods n 4x4's for years...so the doing isn't a problem...just need you guys brain power...lots of good info here..

So far i have gathered that the 4.0 from 03 up is the improved tensioner ...and that i need ecm from donor and trans..my 3.0 has bad trans anyway...i was looking today at pick n pull..and noticed some explorers lacked the ecm plug location that matched mine 99...and do i need the gas tank due to the different fuel pressures....

Sure there's allot of other questions I'll have to ask as the swap is preformed...just trying to get my info straight so i can find the proper motor and related parts o get the job done

I really like the hp and torque numbers listed for these 03 up revamped 4.0 's

Thanks and great to find this forum...mark
Ugh 6

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals