• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Argueing with idiots.....Another WalMart 'love' story

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
I know this is an older thread so I'll say this, pepboys will argue with you and tell you that you can only go by the door sticker so I told that asshole to to kiss mine !!!!:thefinger::thefinger:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I know this is an older thread so I'll say this, pepboys will argue with you and tell you that you can only go by the door sticker so I told that asshole to to kiss mine !!!!:thefinger::thefinger:

Went into our local Sears auto service about a month ago. We have leaking beads on our explorer. So I usually run 35lbs of air in the tires.

The "Tech" (for lack of a better word) looks at the door sticker and states "All we can do is put 28lbs of air in the tires".

I asked him to research the huge issue Ford and FiresStone had when running their tires at 28lbs. I also pointed out that the local Ford garage instructed me to run at 35lbs to avoid the tire issue that plauged these SUV's.

His boss told him to bump 'em to 35.... And then explained why in great detail about the exploding tires when 28lbs was thought to be ideal.

S-

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have always had the attitude that I KNOW more about car tires than all but one or two people in any given state BETWEEN ALL the tire-dealers and repair shop...

And most tire sellers will invariably try real hard to sell you some all season garbage, that their wholesaler is pushing...

I'm not sure what all-season tires are designed for unless it is to SUCK Equally in all seasons....

My latest experience with Walmart for tires was November 2015, I wanted to order a set of BFG A/T's for my Ranger. I wanted 235/75-15s and they would sell them to me, but not mount them on my Ranger. I ordered the tires from the Tire Rack and had a local shop mount and balance them.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I have always had the attitude that I KNOW more about car tires than all but one or two people in any given state BETWEEN ALL the tire-dealers and repair shop...

And most tire sellers will invariably try real hard to sell you some all season garbage, that their wholesaler is pushing...

I'm not sure what all-season tires are designed for unless it is to SUCK Equally in all seasons....

My latest experience with Walmart for tires was November 2015, I wanted to order a set of BFG A/T's for my Ranger. I wanted 235/75-15s and they would sell them to me, but not mount them on my Ranger. I ordered the tires from the Tire Rack and had a local shop mount and balance them.

I've found both ends. All Season tires that blow chunks...and wouldn't get out of their own way. And I've found All Season tires that grip like flippen cement on the highway no matter what the road conditions are.

Sadly the good tires usually get discontinued... After all, wouldn't want to sell a GOOD year round product when you can nail a customer for both a Summer and Snow tire...

One has to ask how much $$ Wallyworld is actually loosing out of with that moronic policy. Yeah I get it- If you have someone that is the village idiot that wants to mount 235/75/15 tires on their VW Beetle.. Sure, it's got a 15" rim! It's also got those lame performance tires that only are good for dry pavement. Found "Douglas Xtra-Trac" tires at Wally... Actually a good all season tire that worked on the VW the wife drives! They discontinued it. (Of course....)

S-

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well yes its an old, but somewhat popular thread.

So even though it wasnt Ranger related, I had a great time at Wal-Mart(even though I know they are EVIL CORPORATE MONSTERS, that will further separate the classes...but I digress...I like "inexpensive" stuff too.

Now granted this was 5 or so years ago, I brought in my own used tires, and my used ImpalaSS rims and had them installed and balanced, then very politely asked if they could then put the wheels on my 94 Caprice wagon...they did say they wouldnt fit at first(apparently someone tried to put the same style rims on an older wagon...no they dont fit). But after reassuring them that they would fit, they were very happy to put them on my car for nothing... So yeah...all I paid for was 4 mount and balance, 4 tire disposal...and that was it. Granted I talked to the mechanics first, before I went to the counter...(not my first rodeo there..lol), but yeah..that worked out fine.

Now of course there was the time they under filled my wife's autotrans in her Lumina...some things...they just dont get to do. (She was trying to do maintenance on her own...for that I give her credit....but taking it to WalWart..well credit taken back...lol). Luckily we didnt live far away and I figured out what they did, fixed it then got a FULL refund.....the trans lasted for several more years. We sold it when it started to slip some...and yes the buyer was fully informed of what all was wrong with the car....(I had already replaced the LIM that always went bad on them).

All and all...like any garage...even ones you KNOW, always double check what they do, everyone makes mistakes...

But if a "counter" person argues with me...then yeah...either they do what I want, or I leave. ...and I will leave with ALL my money...even if they TRY to scam me...yes that has happened too...lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
These sorts of things are why I have an arrangement at a local garage. For the cost of a beer and cigar, I'm allowed to use an empty bay and the tire machine to change tires on anything I own. I don't have to argue with anyone about what will and will not work, I can use internal balancing media, and I don't have to deal with over torqued lug nuts. Then I sit with the guy who runs the shop and we have a beer and cigar while we shoot the breeze.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is why I bring the rims in and get them to mount the tires and then I put them on whichever axle I damn well please!!!

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
HaHaHa I just wish I had a Walmart to bitch about.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
HaHaHa I just wish I had a Walmart to bitch about.
No.
Trust me.
You don't.

There are much more important and entertaining things in life to waste your time bitching about.
:annoyed: :sad: :icon_confused:

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have not read all of the comments only the first post of this thread and it is Wal-Mart policy to only install new tires on the rear. Is a simple as a liability for them and even though it's stupid they have to do it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have not read all of the comments only the first post of this thread and it is Wal-Mart policy to only install new tires on the rear. Is a simple as a liability for them and even though it's stupid they have to do it

What if it's a FWD vehicle?

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As was mentioned in the original post that is what is recommended because bald tires will allow the rear of the vehicle to hydroplane and spent out when cornering in poor weather conditions.

I worked at Sam's Club for two years when I Was Eighteen and we were trained to only put them on the rear.

We would refuse the sale if people would not allow us to put them on the back.

I left there and went to another tire shop where I work for 6 years and we were told to always suggest it but in the end we always did what the customer wanted and as long as we verbally inform them of the possible consequences we can pretty much do anything that we were asked

jharry3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
new tires on rear

True story.
My family owned a tire business for years.
We used to put the tires where ever the customer wanted.
Then we became Michelin dealers.
Michelin required us to take a class in how to sell and recommend their tires.
We covered the whole "new tires on the back" reasons.
The instructor spent a lot of time on the physics of why its highly recommended.

So one day this friend of my brother comes it for two new tires on his Mercedes Benz convertible and gets two of Michelin high performance tires of the time that match his old ones. This guy had a PhD and taught at a major university.
Professor wants the new ones on the front. My brother goes into a long explanation of why he should not do that but the guy insists.
It was raining that day. Sure enough on the way home he had to make an emergency stop, the car swapped ends, and he crashed it.

This pretty much solidified my opinion of where to put two new tires.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Or, if you rotate your tires regularly, keep the car aligned and maintain proper pressure in the tires, they should all wear out at the same time. Then you get 4 new tires at once and start the process all over again.

Just a thought.
[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eaglec1978

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
A little late but as far as tire pressure goes, i run the tires on my 92 2wd reg can at 35psi as thats what the door sticker calls for. Most of the time that is what it should be ran at as the engineers, yeah i know right, have determined that is where the vehicle does best at. Its never a good idea to go by what is on the tire itself as thats the max pressure for that tire and vehicles weigh different and take different pressure for the same tire to have the best contact patch and handling. Now i do realize the issues with the explorers and firestones a few years back and that is why i say most of the time as there are times when that changes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals