• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeak, squeak, squeak and more squeak

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, fellows. I know we all talked about this....the rear leaf springs and those squeaks we get. I bought me 99 Ranger brand new. The rear leafs started the squeak about two years ago. I have been lucky about this that they did not start to squeak until that time. I had heard lots of horror stories about the noises they can make.
I did the power wash thing and WD40 and it was so nice for a few months and then it started again. Next I tried the lithium spray and that worked for awhile longer. I have stock rear leafs with the add-a-leafs set up. I then noticed that once in awhile the left aal (the rear area) moves over a bit toward the middle of the truck. I just lightly tap it with a rubber mallet and it goes back in alignment.
I have seen brand new leaf springs on Ebay and thought about ordering them and just starting fresh and add a new aal set up. The squeaking is not so bad at this time but sometimes it it just starts up again. Is this worth the expense to get new leafs and new aal's? What do your think?

Straycat

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Try the grey graphite lube, its dry but should prevent the squeak without allow the lateral movement. Otherwise i would take your springs apart and clean them thoroughly.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you want to get rid of the sqeek, get a cat to chase the mouse out of the rear end.

No mouse = no squeek!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Try the grey graphite lube, its dry but should prevent the squeak without allow the lateral movement. Otherwise i would take your springs apart and clean them thoroughly.
Ok, so grey graphite, eh? I have never used it before. I will get some this weekend and give it a try. Thanks for the tip!!!

Straycat

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to get rid of the sqeek, get a cat to chase the mouse out of the rear end.

No mouse = no squeek!
Hey, wait a second, my mice pets would not like that!! My cats have two pet mice!!!! I can't let them read this....lol

Straycat

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like spring bushings are worn out. I put polyurethane bushings on my 99xlt 4x4 and have heard nary a peep since (5yrs). Any ranger spring bushing set will work, if you get the correct set for your rear hangers ... some hangers have two sets of bushings in them, some have one.

Plan for it to take a lot of work, rust makes it difficult.

Hint: spray p'blaster on it daily for 7 days before starting.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
When it starts up again it always sound like it is coming from the center of the springs. Is this why you replace yours. I found a complete set for my 99 about an hour ago. I just hate to order them, install them and the noise is still there. lol

Straycat

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I undercoated my truck with Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and my front end squeak went away. Hydraulic oil won't hurt rubber or like substance and will not wash off so maybe its worth a try. But it will be there forever.... We spill it on our equipment all the time, it never comes off unless you wash it with something like carb cleaner.:icon_twisted:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That is a different ides, Bro. I bet it smells!!! lol

Straycat

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
If it ever gets on the exhaust, you'll efficiently be a mobile smoke screen :icon_rofl:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That's what I was thinking about as well....lol

Straycat

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
it strange my truck squeaks horrible, but my buddy has a 87, quiet as can be.......

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I undercoated my truck with Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and my front end squeak went away. Hydraulic oil won't hurt rubber or like substance and will not wash off so maybe its worth a try. But it will be there forever.... We spill it on our equipment all the time, it never comes off unless you wash it with something like carb cleaner.:icon_twisted:
Dude, Thats not very Green!

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
There are suppose to be pads to prevent this and there is a graphite spray paint to help it.. It sound like each leaf is digging into each other causing the squeaking nosie...
I will post up something i read in a book later for you !!!!!

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
hmmmmm mine had teflon squares between the springs and perches and there are pads between each spring but it sounds like it comes from someplace else. i think it is just old age. thinks make funny noises when they get old. am i wrong????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals