• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need ideas for 1988 ranger xlt

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is my 1988 ranger xlt 2.9 l auto 2wd one previous owner 119000 miles. I think it has a cracked head and want to make it a project what do you think I should do with it? Its completely stock other than the muffler

Attachments

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Haha thanks ray but I'm just a stupid kid and have it in my mind to make it a fast truck

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
If you wanna go faster then look into the 4.0 sohc swap. They have 205 hp, get 20+ mpg and are small enough to be a easier swap than a 5.0 or bigger engine. I hear there are pretty good tuners out there and there's lots of tech info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Really?!?! there getting that much out of the 4.0 ???

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Ty,

I'm glad you did not take my response as a smart azz reply.

It was not meant that way.

Here is what a normal human would of said...

That is a nice truck, there is tons of info out there on changing engines if you want to go that route.

Hell they even have a section on here for that particular type of project.

Me, I would just replace the head to have it on the road. Keeps things in check that way.

Research on your best options/capabilities/availabilities and go from there.

Good luck, have fun but be safe doing it.

Ray

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I've been researching motor and transmission combos that will work in it. I have a car that I can get around town in until I get whatever I want to do done so it being off the road for a while doesn't bother me. The main reason I'm looking for input is that I can't decide what motor to put in it. There's quite a few 302s done so there is more info about that swap but 2 kids at my school have 302 rangers so I want to be different the 351w is a harder swap to make fit and not to many dress up kits for a 351w and more expensive than a SBC 350 but that 4.0 is also temping I just don't know what I want to do but I want to do something. But in all seriousness thank you for your input ray. And thanks rowdy for adding another option to the madness haha

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a turbo kit for the 4.0 or would I have to do a custome plumb job if I added a turbo?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I'm not sure. I think you'd have to install a custom one. There's a company on here that advertises a kit.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If you're going SOHC 4.0, there is THIS. Not a turbo, but it is a kit setup.

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh ok thanks senornoob and rowdy. The 4.0 is definitely a front runner right now. I think im either going to do the 4.0 swap or a sbc swap depending on what I can come up with and what my budget will allow

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Well the sbc will be cheaper but it is blasphemy lol

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are 18 or less as "just a stupid kid" seems to imply, and/or your budget is as severely limited as you seem to imply, then you only have one good course of action. The best improvement you can do is replace the head, if that is in fact the problem. Having been a kid with a stupid quick Ranger, and it was only a 2.8L, I can definitely recommend keeping the truck slow. Going fast at that age will really hurt your wallet.

If you are serious about building a fast truck, have enough of a budget to get it going, and know what you are getting yourself into, then by all means build away. I'm actually going to recommend taking the long way around to making it go fast. Get it running good, then start with brake and suspension upgrades. No point in making a lot of power and going fast if you can't use it or stop it. Being quick is more fun that being fast anyway. There are laws limiting how fast you can go, there are none that limit how quick you can accelerate or maneuver.

If it really is a cracked head on this motor then obviously you'll have to compare options, and see if it's better to replace a head or swap an engine. The 4.0L or V8 swaps can be fun, but I will never recommend a V8 swap if there's a chance that it will take the Chevy into a Ford route. I'm a diehard Ford in a Ford guy (same applies to other brands as well), but if you're going to go the over done engine swap route at least make it a Hemi or something interesting.

EDIT: Sorry for the long reply. Mine are always long and they get worse as I get tireder.

Last edited:

tyguy12755

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Josh your right about the under 18 part and ik that sbc is goimg to catch me alot of flack on here but you have to admit its a tempting opinion on a tight budget . Everyone and their grandma has a sbc laying around ik where I can get a fresh rebult one for $500 thats cheper than I could get the head for. I would love to keep it all ford Ik where your coming from on that but on a "lunch money " buget I have to seriously look at the sbc as an option unless you have a 5.0 laying around for 500 haha

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals