• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone try soft doors on B2 like Jeep?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just curious if anyone has tried and design soft doors like jeep has on their B2. Even the removable hard doors would be sweet. I just didnt know if you took the bracket from a jeep and fabricated a door to the brackets where it was removable if that would work. I am working on building my B2 into a rock crawler and I just think removable doors would be sweet looking and help out. Just curious if anyone else here has tried it. I have seen people that fabbed the half doors out of the factory door and even people that just took of the door but I havent come across anyone that has made removable doors. Thanks guys!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Haven't seen it, but I will soon be building half-doors for mine. I will be attempting removable soft uppers.

I'm also going to make it so my full and half-doors are easily switched.

Last edited:

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Watch what you do, if you are worried about being street legal you may want to check with your state's law. Pretty sure you can't modify solid doors to soft doors unless they came as a factory option...at least in NJ.
But if you can then go for it and take pics, sounds like an awesome idea:headbang:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i run vynil inserts on the ranger.

i made some plastic deals for the b2, not sure where they are at.

theres zip in stuff i seen on cherokees etc that were bad ass. thats something i am not interested in doing myself and i dont have the disposable income to have them made in that fasion but when i do i will.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Also, something to remember, is that most states will write you a ticket for no doors at all, unless it's a Jeep. The reason Jeeps are legal is because they have that floorpan raised "lip" edge, that prevents things from falling out and becoming a hazard for other cars. Even if you have a lip, it still wasn't factory and ticket-worthy.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Also, something to remember, is that most states will write you a ticket for no doors at all, unless it's a Jeep. The reason Jeeps are legal is because they have that floorpan raised "lip" edge, that prevents things from falling out and becoming a hazard for other cars. Even if you have a lip, it still wasn't factory and ticket-worthy.
not always true. but its perceived that way even by many leo. doors till 95-96 or so were not always part of the design structure so theres no floor to insist on it being a federally mandated safety device....regardless sunroofs t tops and convertibles....motor cycle??

jeeps had no doors originally. broncos and scouts and landcruisers ect had door insert and doorless option along with removable roofs and folding windshields etc.

if you have shit on your floor that is unsecured and can roll around possibly falling out of the vehicle.....THAT is illegal.

i have a pan setup or raised lips on my rigs, but if there is shit rolling around on the floor or you dont have proper shoes your in worse trouble on the all around then no doors at all in most places.

regardless you have gone that far custom you can go a little farther and title it as home built and have whatever the fawk kind of door you want.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The doorless thing is really something I wont be riding around with down the highway. The half door would be great for that but the doorless thing was strictly for offroading. I figured if you took the hinges from and jeep and modify it to fit a B2 then build a frame of a door using steel tubing and then modify a locking mechanism for the bolt. Then take the vinyl material and have someone stitch it around the steel tubing. You could even have someone stitch a zipper around the tubing and have the material zip in. I am sure it is not as simple as I just made it out to be but I don't think it would be all that hard to do. I just have a lot of other things on the list ahead of it. I am not worried about getting a ticket for no doors or things blowing out and all that jazz. Not trying to sound cocky but I know almost all of the cops and they usually don't stop for petty things like that, well except the littering part. My biggest concern was that the doors are factored in when it comes to the integrity of the body and when i removed them it would weaken the body. If that was the case I would have to build a roll cage to help support the body when the doors were modified.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
its easier then that if you pay. i dont have the experience to sew, but zip in doors are easy to do if you frame cut your doors.

i can do a snap in and just might. the plastic deals i made for the b2 were supposed to be to keep the seats dry in the rain but they are like a weave cloth and hold and leak water:D....

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
its easier then that if you pay. i dont have the experience to sew, but zip in doors are easy to do if you frame cut your doors.
What do you mean by frame cutting the doors?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
this setup might get tube framed this year....this is my personal rig. with tube frame the cloth/canvas type jeep door is easy to do...

this is my...or rather my daughter madisyns b2....it has non opening doors for now...well the drivers opens now but i have to make handles for both sides. it has the winter doors on currently and these summer doors are in storage.

this is real easy to add cloth type stuff too.....if you fully cut them so they are a thin frame with good handles to open them its even easier to make a true jeep soft door.

this is 351 rangers old rig and he was never worried about them having to open as it was just a toy. not so for me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i need to add, the b2 doors are intentionally cut and designed to be the jeep door as asked in this title, they simply were never finished due to lack of use of the vehicle and it was a trailer rig anyway. when i get around to working on them and get them to the house maybe i will get some closer pics to help explain this.

marc has some serious time in them and did a far nicer job then i would have ever even attempted so i hope i dont fawk them up finishing
them:icon_twisted:

if you look at how its recessed you can see how its easy to put a snap or zip insert in.

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That is the exact setup i had in my mind. I would just run another tube that went around the top of the door so that it would seal so rain wont get in. I am glad you posted that pic so I could see the design already in use.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
its a complete door frame and easily sealed as is.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Which one the first ranger or the second ranger?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the fat bastard flat bed one is a ranger....the little camo one is a bronco 2....that one is my daughters.

it has the doors i was referring to. the original owner(351ranger)built them initially, i will have to finish them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals