• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I haven't seen the fuel economy projections but I would imagine there is plenty of power there...it is the duratech 2.3 so it would have started out with 140 HP in the regular engine...probably closer to 200 with the turbo...haven't seen the numbers on that yet either.
280 HP, 320 TQ. Now there are 4.slow's LOL

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No, it is not the same 2.3 as in the Mustang or Focus RS, but the same as you can get with the Explorer max tow package, 280 HP 320 TQ.
Ah, OK thanks for the clarification...I really don't know these engines and their history...other than I can't seem to find one in Canada for sale in my area...but that could be due to not really looking very hard.

280 HP, 320 TQ. Now there are 4.slow's LOL
Haha...yes, I'd imagine it changes the respect game a bit...:)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW when we were talking with the head of the Ranger project yesterday they wouldn't release any #'s for the engine. Hp, towing or MPG. They will all be released closer to launch.

Nothing concrete whether or not they were exploring other powertrains either. If they were not no would have been a pretty easy answer though...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If we ever see the 3.5 in a Ranger it will be complete insanity. It's producing 375 in normal f150 configuration, 450 in the raptor.

Having a 4 cylinder base engine is fine, but IMO it needs a V6 and/or diesel option as well. Doesn't even have to be the 3.5L EB, they did just throw a 335 HP, 380 lb-ft 2.7L EB in the Edge for the 2019 model. That would be a good option while still giving the 3.5L F-150 an advantage.

Not sure why I care though, I won't be buying one. I've got my 99 and 86 Rangers and they are probably the last Rangers I'll ever own. When the 99 gets replaced it will be with a classic truck, most likely a 60s F series (maybe a Ranger trim package). If the 86 gets replaced it'll be with a older muscle car or some sort of sleeper build. If I ever buy a newer truck it will be many tears after it was new.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Having a 4 cylinder base engine is fine, but IMO it needs a V6 and/or diesel option as well. Doesn't even have to be the 3.5L EB, they did just throw a 335 HP, 380 lb-ft 2.7L EB in the Edge for the 2019 model. That would be a good option while still giving the 3.5L F-150 an advantage.

Not sure why I care though, I won't be buying one. I've got my 99 and 86 Rangers and they are probably the last Rangers I'll ever own. When the 99 gets replaced it will be with a classic truck, most likely a 60s F series (maybe a Ranger trim package). If the 86 gets replaced it'll be with a older muscle car or some sort of sleeper build. If I ever buy a newer truck it will be many tears after it was new.
Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see the larger options just for fun. But why does it -need- them when we're already so far above anything we've ever seen in the Ranger before? This thing dominates the 5.0 I'm throwing into my '99 right now. Lots of aftermarket support as well since it's shared with the Explorer and Mustang.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see the larger options just for fun. But why does it -need- them when we're already so far above anything we've ever seen in the Ranger before? This thing dominates the 5.0 I'm throwing into my '99 right now. Lots of aftermarket support as well since it's shared with the Explorer and Mustang.
The big kid on the block right now (Tacoma) has a very peaky 265hp NA V6 car engine... a 2.3EB should manhandle that.

Guys blow off a little 2.3EB, the 2.7EB in the F-150 will destroy many NA V8's. In Explorer trim they put out 280 hp @ 5600 rpm, 310 lb⋅ft @ 3000 rpm. That is pronominal. Makes the old 4.0 with 207 hp at 5250rpm and 238 @ 3000rpm look kind of pathetic.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a diesel at some point, Chevy is having good luck moving them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
FWIW when we were talking with the head of the Ranger project yesterday they wouldn't release any #'s for the engine. Hp, towing or MPG. They will all be released closer to launch.

Nothing concrete whether or not they were exploring other powertrains either. If they were not no would have been a pretty easy answer though...
FWIW, ford.com lists the HP and torque specs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm not seeing it either.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
No, it is not the same 2.3 as in the Mustang or Focus RS, but the same as you can get with the Explorer max tow package, 280 HP 320 TQ.

what do you mean not the same as the mustang?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Same block. Other differences between the 3. Mustang. Focus RS. Explorer/Ranger (and probably Bronco).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well yeah....theres packaging differences.

the intakes are different....obviously the plumbing on the focus is east west vs north south...timing cover for fead ect....

makes for killer bolts ons to hop up a ranger.

I do not like listening to a 4 whizzer.....but its a whizzer, not a wheezer.

400 hp and 400 ft lb is attainable with this engine with bolt ons and tuning.

it comes with the 10 speed.

no other ranger has this level of insane potential built into it. and this is just the beginning.

there wont be any solid numbers till they feel like throwing some out. they are still in development.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think Ford just wants to get this to market. I wouldn't be surprised if a diesel shows up later.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There are a couple of things that might restrict any larger engines from ever being offered in the Ranger. First and foremost is the fact that the 2.3L EB is not offered in the F-150. That distinguishes it from the F-150. If you want a larger engine or a diesel you can move on up to the bigger, more expensive truck. That will limit the number of buyers who would otherwise cross-shop the Ranger against the F-150.
Second, Ford has already stated that they had to modify the case of the 10-speed auto to fit in the Ranger. Whether that was because of a lack of space between the frame rails or in the transmission tunnel in the cab floor or both the point is that it is a different case than is used behind any of the larger engines used in the F-150. A smaller case may also mean smaller internals and that might mean a lower torque rating for the trans which in turn means it might not be suitable behind anything larger than the 2.3.
They could choose to modify the frame and floor of the next gen Ranger to fit a larger engine and trans if and when there ever is a next gen but then they would be violating the first point.
I am a little surprised that they didn't offer the 3.2L I-5 turbo diesel with the 6-speed auto since that combination has been used in the global Ranger for years and is currently used in the US version of the Transit full-size van. There is speculation that the global Ranger will be getting the 2.0L EcoBlue turbo diesel in place of the 3.2 so I suppose we could get that as well. It would also be different (smaller) than the 3.0L PS in the F-150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals