• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold Air intake

86broncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Would like to add cold air intake to my 86 Bronco II. I have only seen 1 photo of a bronco II 2.9L with one. I haven't been able to find an actual kit to add one, so my question is if anyone knows if there is a kit out there I am not finding or if it is something that needs to be fabricated. Thanks!

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I don't think there's a kit that's made specificity for yours, but I believe they make universal kits you could try.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Add a cold air intake? What happened to the one Ford put on it from the factory?

Sent from the can

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You have a factory CAI setup that for actual cold air is far better than any aftermarket setup out there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Bronco II or Ranger has a factory Cold air intake, as do most vehicles, air is picked up in front of the engine so comes in at outside temp, so the coolest air possible.

Make sure the air pre-heater vacuum valve is not stuck, giving you pre-heated air 24/7.

Cold air intakes are pretty much installed to "look good" or to "sound good", there is no noticeable performance change.
Nothing wrong with that, many people install nicer wheels and don't expect to go faster :)

What heats the in coming air up is the Sun, lol.
And the engine somewhat, as an engine warms up it's heat is transferred to the metal intake manifold, this can add a few degrees to the incoming air.

Some will run a 160deg t-stat to see if they can drop normal operating temp by a few degrees, most "cold air intake" sellers recommend this because this is what actually can give you a performance boost, not the intake itself.

Cooler air is denser so more fuel can be mixed with it, must be mixed with it, since the engine can't control air flow, so cooler air = more fuel and more power.
This is why engines are "peppier" in the colder months, and why MPG drops in the colder months.

Lots of dyno tests involving cold air intakes out there to view, and if they are not the manufacturer's tests then they pretty much show there is no benefit in performance above a working factory system.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your factory intake is a cold air intake - it draws air from behind the headlight on mine.

Putting a big cone filter under your hood that sucks up hot air from the engine compartment is NOT a cold air intake, regardless of what KNN says on their box.

If you dont like the stock one for whatever reason, make sure your custom design is actually getting COLD air, or you are just wasting money.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
It would be cooler (pun intended) to add a snorkel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals