• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 Ranger thread...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Instead of starting many different threads any time I have a question or make some progress, I'll do it all in this thread instead.

About a year ago I bought a '93 supercab Ranger with a blown head gasket on a 4.0 with an auto transmission. The interior of the truck is in decent shape for the year, but the exterior needs some attention. It has power locks and windows which I really like :D The plan was to drop my 460 in it and have a cool toy to play with, but now my need for a truck to use as a dependable, economic daily driver outweighs my need for another toy.

My swap may be different from most sbf swaps because economy (mpg) and dependability will take priority over speed and performance. I'm going for the econo-swap... low buck.

Here is the truck the day I bought it

Then I found 2 running motors for $300. They are from an '88 and '91 Crown Vic. Both are complete with computers and wiring harnesses. My brother sold me a recently rebuilt AOD from a SuperCoupe for $100. I'm going to run the motor stock with the speed density system. I know it's not the best, but it's FREE compared to buying something else :yahoo:

Here is the motor I'm going to use, it's from the '91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

And now a couple questions...

The oil pan has a fitting for a low oil level sender. Does anyone know if I unthread this thing, is there is some type of plug I could thread into where it was?

How are you guys unbolting the crossmember and moving forward? Is mine different? I see no other holes to move it forward with...

Here are the exhaust manifolds I have. Does anyone (baddad?) have a pic of the 289 hi po passenger side manifold to compare to what I have here?

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How are you guys unbolting the crossmember and moving forward? Is mine different? I see no other holes to move it forward with...

Just move it ahead with the engine and trans in the truck where you want, mark and drill new holes in the frame. Looks like a nice little project you have there. Keep us posted on the build:icon_hornsup:

Here is a plug for the pan to.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-2018/

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it's too cold out for me so I looked at a couple of suppliers of them. Got these:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=C5ZZ9430PR+01&Category=Exhaust&subCategory=Exhaust+Manifolds&CatKey=EMUSTANG
Dave
Thanks for the link :icon_thumby:

Just move it ahead with the engine and trans in the truck where you want, mark and drill new holes in the frame. Looks like a nice little project you have there. Keep us posted on the build:icon_hornsup:

Here is a plug for the pan to.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-2018/
Awesome... I used the thread size in the Summit link and found an oil pan drain plug at Napa for under $3.00, I'll try it and see if it works, otherwise I'll get the Summit plug.

racing83x

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or you could just put the oil sensor back in it. thats what i did.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
or you could just put the oil sensor back in it. thats what i did.
I would, but I lost that part somehow. I remember taking it out, then I don't know what happened to it, so I figure a plug would be the next cheapest thing, and possibly more leak proof through time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

What is this square plug located on the rear passenger side of the lower intake manifold plugging?

And a couple pics of the thermactor ports (?) before and after... bolt installation is much easier after running a tap through there. Is all that crud in there a sign of something? My last 302 was a cleaner in there.

And this thing... what a PITA to get off! A little paper gasket that leaks water to the mounting studs... ugh!

racing83x

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok well what you call your thermactor? ports are your egr ports from the heads. the littler hole is the one that your bolt goes in. i think its a 1/4 20. and all that crud is what you would call carbon. i would tear down your engine if you are worried but usually its just cuz of the ethanol in newer fuels. no biggy.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
I'll just be using the bigger one. I bought the bolts for plugs at Fastenal, and all they had was a bag of 10 grade 8 bolts... so I guess I have a decent supply for a while, and the grade 8 should be strong enough. (the last comment was intended to be sarcastic)

racing83x

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha grade 8? hahahahaha a grade 2 would have been strong enough to plug it.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I feel like being a tool.
Those are thermactor holes. Not EGR.
I feel better now.

And 5.0, the square plug is plugging a hole into the coolant. You can run a fan switch, guage, etc. there if you need to. My original HO lower intake was drilled and tapped at all four corners. I tapped my GT40 lower for the accessories I use, as it was not originally drilled.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ok well what you call your thermactor? ports are your egr ports from the heads. the littler hole is the one that your bolt goes in. i think its a 1/4 20. and all that crud is what you would call carbon. i would tear down your engine if you are worried but usually its just cuz of the ethanol in newer fuels. no biggy.
Those are not the EGR passages, they're the Thermactor air injection passages. And that carbon crud isn't from ethanol. It's been commonly found on many engines well before ethanol came along. Actually ethanol burns cleaner, that's why we're using it now. It does have it's problems (with rubber seals and corrosion of metal parts from it's propensity to attract moisture) but carbon crud isn't one of em. The EGR system draws exhaust gasses from the exhaust crossover passages in the center of the heads

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Those are not the EGR passages, they're the Thermactor air injection passages. And that carbon crud isn't from ethanol. It's been commonly found on many engines well before ethanol came along. Actually ethanol burns cleaner, that's why we're using it now. It does have it's problems (with rubber seals and corrosion of metal parts from it's propensity to attract moisture) but carbon crud isn't one of em. The EGR system draws exhaust gasses from the exhaust crossover passages in the center of the heads
Yeah, I was thinking the EGR came up through the small hole in my lower intake that's about half way down the manifold, located between two sets of 4 runners, then through the upper intake to get to the EGR valve... is this right?

I feel like being a tool.
Those are thermactor holes. Not EGR.
I feel better now.

And 5.0, the square plug is plugging a hole into the coolant. You can run a fan switch, guage, etc. there if you need to. My original HO lower intake was drilled and tapped at all four corners. I tapped my GT40 lower for the accessories I use, as it was not originally drilled.
Ok, I looked at mine and it's tapped at all corners also. The front two have an adapter for the heater hose with the ECT sender for the EEC, and the other has an ECT for the gauge. The rear has an adapter for a small hose that went to the EGR spacer and the other is plugged.

Here's what I'm wondering... remove the heater hose adapter from the front port and thread the ECT for the EEC directly into the manifold. For the rear ports, use one for a fan switch and the other for a heater hose adapter. I'm wanting a "clean" look with as few visible wires and hoses as possible.

A couple concerns with doing this...

Will the ECT still read properly without the flow of coolant from the heater hose adapter? (I'm not sure if coolant will still flow through the manifold to the bypass hose or not this way?)

Will using a heater hose from the rear port still allow my heater to get as hot as if the hose was from the front port?

Just wondering...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Grade 8 FTW!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals