• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It's gotta be the hard way!!

brentmc

Reaction score
Why is it when one simply massages the firewall with a big F'n hammer its the finger that gets the massage. LOL forgive me for my messy shop...

Last edited:

brentmc

Reaction score
I finally got the motor and tranny mounts made and bolted in. At times I wish I had an extra hand or two to hold things in place.

Last edited:

brentmc

Reaction score
I've been looking into adjustable long arms for the front axel swap. I'm on the fence if I should just buy them premade or build them. Any thoughts on manufacturer or quality parts to use?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
About the only commercially-made radius arms I would trust myself is Skyjacker.
James Duff makes a beefy arm too, though I've seen a couple of them crack in the notches right where the boxed section expands away from the piece of tubing they use (would probably want to add some gussets in that area if you use it hard).

As easy as it is to build arms yourself, I'd just go that route. Biggest thing is making sure you set the caster angle correct for your lift and frame bracket placement.

brentmc

Reaction score
Im not going to go with the traditional ford style radius arms that has the C bushings. I have a dana 30 from a Jeep Wrangler. I'm considering the ironman type long arm kit. From the prices I've seen building them would be cheaper. The only issue I have making me own is what a good brand of heim joints. I know what my welding skill are but I dont know who's parts are good or not. This is my first SAS so I need all the help I can get from you guys that has done it.

brentmc

Reaction score
Had a busy couple of days. I had to modify my oil pan to clear the front suspension, there's nothing better than running out of wire for the welder and the only stuff you have is .045 (its not the best for welding sheet metal). Plus my new clutch and flywheel came in the mail along with the slave cylinder and got them installed today. Plus I had fun making the slave cylinder bracket. Now I'm playing the waiting game for the radiator to come in.

brentmc

Reaction score
Starting on mounting the radiator last night. I still have a long way to go.

brentmc

Reaction score
I just scored a dana 30 hi-pinion without the vacume disconnect for 40 bucks! Went to my local Napa to get some rubber for my radiator mounts. The parts guy asked me what I was working on. The next thing I know he was offering his axle. He had it for a spare but he sold his Jeep and now its in his garage taking up space. The only thing is that its missing the axle shafts, but he told me it has locking hubs and it doesn't require the use of a 2 piece passenger side axle.

brentmc

Reaction score
Who has the best price on dom tubing for building long arms? So far im leaning toward ruff stuff diy Jeep long arm kit for 400 with shipping.

brentmc

Reaction score
Well I said F it making my own radiator mount, took it to the local radiator shop to weld mounts to it. By the time I get all the materials I need to do it it'd be about the $$. ZI figured if they messed it up they'd get to replace on their dime. Besides its been years since I welded aluminum.

brentmc

Reaction score
Quick question for the experts. How much drive line vibrations will there be with the engine and Trans not sitting square to the rear end? The tail shaft is about 3 inches to the passenger side and the motor is visibly not square in the chassis. I don't like the way is sitting in the truck. I'm thinking about moving the transmission back towards the drivers side and notching the frame rail just enough so the transfer case will clear then fish plating the frame rail. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

brentmc

Reaction score
I spent the morning moving the engine and tranny over 2 inches, forward 1 inch and notching the frame to clear the t-case (I don't like how it looks. I'm gonna redoit).
Don't laughat whati did on the frame! Got around to finishing the radiator/AC condenser.
I like how the Taurus fan sits in the core support.

brentmc

Reaction score
UPS came today it's Christmas in August!
a box of diy long arms from RuffStuff. I won't be able to work on it until I get back from Lincoln City Or. I'm taking the family on one last summer vacation before school starts.

brentmc

Reaction score
Either I made a huge mistake or something that's going to work out fine. What I made was new spring perches on the axel to except the Ford Ranger springs. I don't plane l plan on wheeling this it's more of a hunting rig.

Tomorrow I'm planning on cutting off that God awful frame gusset/getto fish plate on the frame next to the T case. Every time I look at it I just get sick!

For those that have done a sas with a Ruffstuff long arm kit before. Is there a magic measurement for the weld on frame mounts? If not no biggie I'm just being lazy lol. My goal for this build is to be as low of a cost I can. So far cash or of pocket is under 700 bucks. 200 for the clutch kit and 400 for the long arm and about 100 in miscellaneous stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals