• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l ranger overheated

h1llb1lly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So i have a 96 ford ranger 2.3l prerunner i was driving the other day and busted a coolant line draining all my coolant out without me knowing especially since my temp gauge doesnt move from halfway so long story short it was driving and it was like someone turned the key off it just died i have oil in my coolant but no coolant in my oil im kinda rushing to get this fixed before i move and three weeks any insight please let me know

h1llb1lly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Also forgot to mention before hand its was losing coolant and it wasnt leaking and the oil smells like gas

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In order of severity: cracked heads, cooked bearings, and cracked block.

There are other possibilities, but none of them good. High heat is really, really bad for an engine.

You likely wrecked your engine. I would have gotten that coolant gauge fixed long ago, if you knew it was faulty.

Will the engine crank at all? If so, do a compression check and get back to us.

h1llb1lly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

There are other possibilities, but none of them good. High heat is really, really bad for an engine.

You likely wrecked your engine. I would have gotten that coolant gauge fixed long ago, if you knew it was faulty.

Ya it will start and run every once and awhile but it wont idle it sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders but after starting once it wont start again for a day or 2

h1llb1lly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

I was in the middle of trouble shooting the gauge ive replaced all the sensors and the gauge and it worked for a day then quit again

h1llb1lly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Bought a compression tester and it doesnt fit so ill have to get a different one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals