• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer seats in Ranger.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
I have the opportunity to replace my '94 Ranger (std. cab) seats with a set from a 94 Explorer. Will the tracks etc. fit without modifications?

Thanks in advance.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
repost x 1,000,000 ...

The explorer seats will bolt just fine to your std cab ranger tracks. Explorer tracks are the same as ex cab tracks.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
They Aren't the Same

Well the tracks set me back $50..non refundable. They are not even close to the tracks I need. So far I have spent $116 on seat tracks and they are not the right ones.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the tracks set me back $50..non refundable. They are not even close to the tracks I need. So far I have spent $116 on seat tracks and they are not the right ones.
Why can't you use the tracks from your existing seats from your reg. cab on the Explorer seats? (assuming your old seat was a 60/40, not a bench). The seat bases (where the tracks bolt to the seat) where the same.

Of course, if the Exploder seats were full load (all power) you may have to "delete" that option to make it work with your old seat tracks.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
The seat tracks are what I needed. I bought the truck used. The previous owner had the wrong tracks, they bolted up in front with the two bolts. But, the person cut the back of the mounting tracks off... with a torch! Then used a couple of 2X4's to raise up the outer track to make them level. Why? I have no idea! I thought it would be an easy fix, but it's not happening.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The seat tracks are what I needed. I bought the truck used. The previous owner had the wrong tracks, they bolted up in front with the two bolts. But, the person cut the back of the mounting tracks off... with a torch! Then used a couple of 2X4's to raise up the outer track to make them level. Why? I have no idea! I thought it would be an easy fix, but it's not happening.
Wow...what a "hack" job.

I know the seat tracks from a gen1/2 std cab are specific to only the std cab. Not too sure about the '93+ cabs though............

Good luck

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
IIRC the tracks may need to be mixed and matched if you had a bench or 60/40 originally...I took a bench out of my first Ranger and put in buckets from an Explorer...I used the outside track from the original and took the inside track from another Ranger that had buckets...but I did have to drill the floor and mod the bolts since it wasn't original equipment...and I might have even used wood to make them the right height...but it worked for two years before I went to the current cab...

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea if the truck had bench or 60/40 originally. It's 60/40 now. I don't care if I had to change over to bench. I just hate the way it is now.
Whatever it takes.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The floor panls are usually the same throughout the same model years and generations...with very little changes even between generations...but if you want buckets just find a set from the same model year and the floor should be pre-drilled with the threaded insert for the bolts...just need to bolt your new seats onto the rails and bolt them in...

The explorer rails may or may not work...I couldn't use them on my 88 but the seats were from a 93 or 94 Explorer...where they used those high mount brackets...but the bolt pattern on the seat should line up or you may need to do a bit of drilling to make them fit...

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Just go to the local junkyard and get the seat tracks out of a 93-97 Ranger. That should help you out. I put seats from a 94 Explorer into my 94 Ranger by just changing the seat tracks. I also added the center console. Looks freakin awesome :)

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The floor panls are usually the same throughout the same model years and generations...with very little changes even between generations...but if you want buckets just find a set from the same model year and the floor should be pre-drilled with the threaded insert for the bolts...just need to bolt your new seats onto the rails and bolt them in...

The explorer rails may or may not work...I couldn't use them on my 88 but the seats were from a 93 or 94 Explorer...where they used those high mount brackets...but the bolt pattern on the seat should line up or you may need to do a bit of drilling to make them fit...
Yes...and no.

My '92 ex-cab Ranger takes different seat tracks (and carpeting) than my '90 ex-cab Ranger. The '90 shares the same tracks as a gen1 ex-cab Ranger. On the '90, the front of the tracks were offset, whereas on the '92 they were not(where they bolt to the floor)

Yeah, it threw me for a loop when i was looking for seats.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wasn't aware of the intricacies of the variations...but there are bound to be quite a few with Ford...mid-production changes or mods in parts for whatever reason have left me more than once shaking my head...but you can usually work around those little things...practice makes better...or is that gooder...

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wasn't aware of the intricacies of the variations...but there are bound to be quite a few with Ford...mid-production changes or mods in parts for whatever reason have left me more than once shaking my head...but you can usually work around those little things...practice makes better...or is that gooder...
Same generation.....same body.....different floor pan.

I love FORD, but they always seem to like throwing variables into the equation, using up old stock, and making changes partway through the production year. Oh well, it keeps you guessing I suppose........

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not to knowledgeable about the floor plan changes but i did take some buckets out of a 91 explorer and i just swapped the tracks with the tracks from my 60/40 and had no problem.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Which tracks did you get?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals