• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch on my 1994 Explorer XLT.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Everyone,

My truck has a bit of squeal under moderate to heave throttle, and under load (hills and such). If I depress the clutch, the sound is gone, and does not happen when revved in neutral with clutch engaged.

There is no chattering or rough engagement in 1st gear, although it will not go into gear from neutral 1 out of maybe 30-35 shifts. Shifts smoothly for the most part when rolling.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, and please ask me any questions that might help you to help me :D

And yes Duane, I know about the search bar, but most links just lead to 4.0 clutch swaps. :icon_twisted::icon_rofl:

Have a good day TRS!

84BB2

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked trans fluid level? < and I don't mean that lightly.

When you say it goes away when the clutch is depressed...do you mean pedal fully depressed? ....what about if you apply light pressure to the clutch pedal but not enough to disengage the clutch....or if you slip the clutch a little.. does the squeal change?

I'm leaning toward your clutch is slipping / worn.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haven't made it to TRS in a couple days. I really need to get under it and check the tranny fluid level.... Yes the sound is gone when pedal is fully depressed. If my clutch is slipping, wouldn't it be a little jumpy starting off? As a side note/after thought: On those rare occasions when it doesn't want to go into gear, it's after driving around for an hour or more.

Thanks Earl!

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
They are two unrelated issues. Check u-joints, check fluid level, check transfer case fluid, and if all else fails - pull the tranny and replace the clutch. The issue of the truck not going into gear easy is just the throwout bearing getting old.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what I had figured on Gribly. I'm certain that it leaks a bit of fluid so I know it's going bad lol. Hopefully I can get the money together to have it done soon enough.

As an afterthought, Rep to both Gribly and Earl.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I can speak to the squealing at least. Had something very similar, turns out the sequel was the serpentine belt slipping. Onl;y did it when the motor was loaded. I put in a brand new one from Napa and it started squealing in another day. Got mad about that and went to O'Reilly's and got a Gates belt, $50 bucks though!!!! However, no more slipping, squealing belt. Yeah!

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I can try that one Alaska. I never heard of a serp belt that squeals only under load... lol! Anybody else that can speak to Alaska's favor? Rep to Alaska!

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar issue on my old 88, it was leaking a bunch of oil from up top and worked it way to the clutch. It made horrible noises until I replaced the clutch. The pressure plate was blue and had hairline cracks all over it, I couldn't feel it but it was slipping.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know my oil isn't leaking. I have a clean block, and it's never missing so much as a drop after 3000 miles :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals