• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsen in rear too?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, I have have to swap gears on front differential from one housing to another because of corrosion/my ham fist nature. So, will be doing Torsen in front.

For the rear, I have 5 choices:

1. Do nothing (leave Ranger 8.8 with 4.10s/open alone)
2. Install Explorer axle (will need to swap the 4.10s, from current axle) (Axle is sitting in garage from my 5.0 swap just hasn't made it in yet as I was nervous about setting up gears, but I am going to have to do it for the front anyways).
3. Replace Explorer differential with Ford LSD (More I think about it, there might be more to this than just move LSD from Ranger differential to the Explorer one - I probably need a set of 31 spline LSD side gears as neither the 28 spline Ranger LSD or 31 spline open ones will work).
4. Get Torsen LSD for Explorer; swap in the Ranger's 4.10s.
5. Better LSD (better = cheaper than Torsen, no more work to install, functions better*)?

$550 USD question: Is Torsen in rear worth cost?

My driving style tends to be burning up left rear tire.** So, if it doubles tire life well worth it.

* Don't suggest anything requiring wiring. I am totally incompetent when it comes to making automotive wiring changes last for extended periods...

**I know cheaper solution is easier on skinny pedal but a guy has to have some fun - why else would on have put the V-8 in?

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll give my advice. Sounds like the explorer axle is not limited slip? If it's not then ditch that one and go get one that is. There is so many out there and you can get them for 100-300 bucks all day. I will say the 4.10 explorer axles are a little harder to find but I've seen two and I've been to only two different junkyards so they aren't too rare. Sounds like that will be the cheapest for you. Plus you gain disc brakes which is a big plus. Also if you are considering a v8 swap at some point then you're stock rear end will get torn apart so no point in dumping 550 into an axle that will be replaced at some point anyways

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TONGIERANGERBOYS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So, I have have to swap gears on front differential from one housing to another because of corrosion/my ham fist nature. So, will be doing Torsen in front.

For the rear, I have 5 choices:

1. Do nothing (leave Ranger 8.8 with 4.10s/open alone)
2. Install Explorer axle (will need to swap the 4.10s, from current axle) (Axle is sitting in garage from my 5.0 swap just hasn't made it in yet as I was nervous about setting up gears, but I am going to have to do it for the front anyways).
3. Replace Explorer differential with Ford LSD (More I think about it, there might be more to this than just move LSD from Ranger differential to the Explorer one - I probably need a set of 31 spline LSD side gears as neither the 28 spline Ranger LSD or 31 spline open ones will work).
4. Get Torsen LSD for Explorer; swap in the Ranger's 4.10s.
5. Better LSD (better = cheaper than Torsen, no more work to install, functions better*)?

$550 USD question: Is Torsen in rear worth cost?

My driving style tends to be burning up left rear tire.** So, if it doubles tire life well worth it.

* Don't suggest anything requiring wiring. I am totally incompetent when it comes to making automotive wiring changes last for extended periods...

**I know cheaper solution is easier on skinny pedal but a guy has to have some fun - why else would on have put the V-8 in?[/

I have a 2000 Ford ranger 4x4 off-road with the 8.8 28 spline, 10 in drum brakes and I was wanting to swap it for a fx4 level 2 8.8 31 spline which has the godsend differential, is it possible??Thx

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DesertRunner33:

I have been running a rather stout 331 for 3 years with no issue with the stock 28 spline 8.8 (other than right rear wear).

I did take your advice; I found a LS Explorer 8.8 at the yard this weekend while looking for a replacement front. Needs new seal (probably new clutch packs) and I might change the axle bearings before I install it. Note: Of the dozen Explorers in the yard, only one was 4.10 LS.

p.s. My driving style doesn't require repeated hard stops from high speed, so discs buy me very little over the Aerostar drums which I originally had, other than maybe bling. (And they are so buried behind the Ranger wheels, I would be the only one who knew.)

TongieRangerBoys:

The answer to your question is yes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals