• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger Radio changes to CD on right turns

roygoodwin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 2000 Ranger XLT and the radio switches from FM to CD and back when I make a right turn. After a short time it swithes back to FM. It doesn't do this when I'm sitting still and turn the wheel to the right and doesn't do it if I make a real gentle (low G force) turn. I have not tried it on AM or CD to see what it does. That's my next step. I'm guessing that there's something loose inside the radio, but am prepared to find that it's something else.

Looking for clues &/or suggestions

Roy

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's probably a trail squirrel that's gotten in there and is ****ing with you...

is it the stock stereo? it sounds like there's a wire or a switch worn out inside of the unit, i doubt this is going to be something fixable, and if it is, slim to no chance it would be worth your time to actually do it... go look for a replacement stereo

how much do you pay yourself? think about it this way, cost of getting a replacement stereo, and having someone install it in your truck, divided by the number of hours it would take you to remove, disassemble, diagnose the problem, fix, re assemble and reinstall...

around here, you're looking at probably $60 install and around $120 for a new decent good stereo, cheapies can be had for probably $60, and used for like 10$ or so at the pawn shop... you have to remember that your stereo isn't new, so you can't value it as a new stereo... so $70/ what 5-10 hours of labor for you to do all of that? lets say 7... that gives you 10$ an hour is what you're paying yourself for a massive headache... is it worth it?

and to top it off, it may not be a problem you can fix, so now you're paying yourself $60 for 7 hours of work (because stereo is garbage) or subtract the cost of replacement parts...

simply put, car stereos are cheap, they aren't worth repairing... they are disposable unless it's under warranty

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals