• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer gear headache

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I changed tires this weekend, and as a result of them being a tad small (215/65R15 vs the old 215/70R15), my speedo/odo is also off.

Despite being a 1995, I found that my VSS has a cable-style gear on it:

(that's ATF, not blood).

Despite being green, it's actually 16 teeth.

However, when I run the numbers, I need a 16.48 tooth gear. That rounds back to 16... but it's right on the line. According to tire size ratios and some empiriacal data, I'm reading 3.3% too fast.

I'm not in the budget for a speedo healer ($220, no thanks). Is 3.3% close enough to be OK? Or do I need different tires. The latter isn't so good, as I bought nice tires; they're Continental Control Contact Tour AS's (I know, car tire, but I don't offroad and they ride really well).

What to do? :icon_confused:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If that's the nearest solution, then it must be "good enough". You'll have to determine for yourself if you can live with that.

The only other alternative I can think of is to see if there are other options for speedo drive gears, such that a different drive/driven gear combination might get you closer. For example, in my '88 I could use a 6-tooth ivory-colored or 7-tooth burgundy-colored drive gear, in combination with any of the common driven gears.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
If that's the nearest solution, then it must be "good enough". You'll have to determine for yourself if you can live with that.

The only other alternative I can think of is to see if there are other options for speedo drive gears, such that a different drive/driven gear combination might get you closer. For example, in my '88 I could use a 6-tooth ivory-colored or 7-tooth burgundy-colored drive gear, in combination with any of the common driven gears.
Ah the spiral gears. I'm sure for the 4r44e there is but I worry such a change would make all the speedo gears gears out of range. I'll look into it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals