• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whine noise from subs

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
How am I going to reach an ohm meter all the way to the battery and my amp? also I have the black ground wire behind my radio hooked up but if my antenna wire comes out it will turn the radio off. I don't have to have the black ground wire hooked up to make the headunit come on. If I have the power wire in the back of my headunit and I go to plug up the antenna wire it will spark is this suppose to happen?

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check the ground on the head unit. If you have a bad ground in the head unit then it will send that winning sound through the cables. Even if you don't hear wine through the door speakers, it is still a possibility. Also, try to eliminate interference from the RCAs by twisting them up. A clever trick to do is to hold one end of the cable down and tape the other end to a power drill and spin away.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Check the ground on the head unit. If you have a bad ground in the head unit then it will send that winning sound through the cables. Even if you don't hear wine through the door speakers, it is still a possibility. Also, try to eliminate interference from the RCAs by twisting them up. A clever trick to do is to hold one end of the cable down and tape the other end to a power drill and spin away.
How do you Check the ground in the head unit? Also i took the ground straight from the headunit and hooked it to a nearby screw without the antenna wire in the back of the headunit but it still made the same noise so it cant be the radio ground can it? Could it be the radio it self? I found the correct ground wire the ground wire on the truck is actually orange and i had the headunit wire hooked to the black wire not sure what that goes to. but now the ground doesnt come off the antenna wire. Ok so now the headunit's ground wire is good, the amp ground wire is sanded and good, so i don't know what else could cause the whinning noise. It only happens when the truck is running not when its off.

Last edited:

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I think I figured out the problem. Today I bought a brand new Pioneer DEH-4400HD. I installed the headunit and now the whining noise is gone in my speakers. I am not sure about the amp yet though I haven't gotten around to getting it hooked up to the new headunit. But hopfully that was my problem. Also, am never going back to the Dual namebrand. The radio I had was a Dual and it was a good radio except the whining noise. Maybe i just got a bad headunit. But I love my new Pioneer.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
naw bro if i would have read this sooner i could have told u it was ur head unit i used dual before cause i didnt have money, one caught on fire in my b2 for no reason so i called the company and got a new one then i would get that same whine so i went and got my money back got a jvc headunit and all my problems were gone plus it gives out more bass.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I hooked my amp up and the sound was was crytsail clear even when it was running. Also i got a question. My new headunit says 50x4 peak i know what that means but whats the difference in continous power and rms? It has 22 watts continous ans rms 14 which one should i go by continous power?

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The radio I had was a Dual
If you told me that in the first place I would have told you to get a new head unit. Dual makes some of the worst head units known to man, I'm not even joking. Sony, Pioneer, JVC, or Kenwood or go home.

Continuous power is the power that the amp is feeding the speakers the whole time they're playing, basically.

Peak power is the power that goes to the speaker in very short bursts, say like the hit of a kick drum. Peak power is all advertising, RMS is actually what you want to look at because more RMS generally means louder music.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what the diff between "Continuous power" and RMS is, but RMS is what you pay attention to with a system like this.

You aren't winning any sound competitions, so you're going for SPL. Sound Pressure Loudness. Basically, making your music loud and still sound good.

RMS is root mean square. It's basically the average speed of the particles. In the case of a speaker, it's how much air it can move how fast. Air moving fast.. pressure... SPL. More RMS, more air moving, more SPL, more good sound at a higher volume.

(Not that I'm a speaker tech or anything. But I understand general terms, and I know about RMS from Physics and Chemistry classes. That's my personal understanding of how the two link.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals