• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6x8 alpine type s

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I got two alpines 6x8 speakers type s. I am pushing them with the stock wiring in the truck and a dual headunit. The headunit is pushing about 240 peak and 18 watts rms. the speaks are about 230 max and 75 rms. Do you go by rms for a loud speaker? Also when i turn my radio all the way up the speakers do not sound clear and dont have much bass on them. I was wondering since the speakers are 75 rms and the radio is 18 rms wouldnt that mean the speakers are a good bit underpowered? And if so what would be a good amp to run them with?How many rms and peak watts would the amp have to be? Thanks.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you push 18 RMS and the speakers can take 75 RMS, and you really want it to be louder, then amp your speakers. Also I doubt your headunit pushes 240 peak and 18 rms. It might be 240 over all channels. 18 RMS per channel.

Amping your speakers will get maybe 10-15% ballpark quality increase but it will also cost a lot. I saw from another thread you have a sub? Just run a filter so your 6x8's aren't playing low notes and your subs aren't playing high. Bass isn't directional regardless so your speakers will be able to play a little louder without the bass notes and your sub will pick up all the slack. 18w RMS isn't bad though. I have a Sony headunit pushing about 22 RMS to my door speakers and they can take 75w RMS each. Still sounds good, still gets plenty loud, don't even have a sub yet.

TLDR; Get a 200 watt 2 channel amp if you just want to amp each 6x8 or a 300+ watt 4 channel if you want LF LR RF RR, and upgrade to 6.5's in the front if you do that. 75w RMS for a door speaker is pretty loud though. And be careful not to blow them. When you tune your amp do it right and do it careful.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Do alpine 6x8's have any bass at all? i heard a little bass but if i turned the bass up to much they kinda pop instead of hit. I know there not going to hit like a sub but my moms car has stock 6.5 inch speakers i think and they will vibrate the back deck.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bass notes are power hungry, so with only 18 watts RMS going to them, no, they won't really hit.

If you wanted a door speaker that will hit, you need something with a higher sensitivity than the rest so you get more sound out of the same power. Other than that, you can amp them to get more sound/bass.

EDIT: Yes, in general a 6x8 or 6x9 will 'hit' a little bit but obviously, like you said, nothing like a sub. Even if you got a small 8 inch sub, it would improve the overall quality of your music. But that also requires wiring it, the box, the amp, and the actual sub. I have 6x9's in back and 6.5's in front and yes, I want a sub, but its nothing I need. If they were stock speakers still I would probably re-do all of it though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals