• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Visor Bluetooth Recommendations?

harriw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,

Just joined this century and got a new phone with bluetooth (LG Octane). I want to setup bluetooth for my truck, but am worried about being able to hear/be heard over road noise from a 17-year-old truck. I'm leaning towards a visor-clip-on unit with internal speaker and FM modulator. I don't want to be dependant on the FM though - want to be able to just turn down the radio and take a call when necessary. Anyone have any recommendations for units that have worked well in somewhat-noisy vehicles like ours? I've got my eye on the droid model, as well as the VM-605 from blackberry (my MIL has one of those and recommended it, but she drives a nice, quiet Lexus...).

I'm definitely going to hard-wire power to it - tuck the wire in behind the trim and under the dash, and probably tie-in at the radio connections. I'd really like to do a full-blown aftermarket install, but I'm not sure I want to tie that much money up in it when a $50 visor mount will do the same job... Has anyone tried any of the Parrot units?

Thanks!

-Bill

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Check out the Blueant S4. Retails for 120 here in Canada, but worth the money. My old district sales manager used one, could hardly even tell he was in a car.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
my head unit has bluetooth built in.. and honestly in my noisy b2, its not worth it... they can't hear me at all.. and that's w/ my mic on the visor.

i'd say you're better off getting an ear piece bluetooth you can use anywhere, not just in your truck...

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a bluetooth speaker phone thing. It's like a tiny box that you are supposed to clip onto the visor but I just clip it onto my collar. It's more convenient that way as I can use it when walking around and I don't look like a cyborg. Cost me twenty bucks at Canadian Tire on sale.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
theres plenty of bluetooth radios out there. what about mounting it to your steering wheel, prob closest to your face or ran by door jam.

harriw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've considered just getting a new head-unit. But I kinda like the one I have in there now (it's got an aux in as well as USB and an SD card slot). Besides, it was a Christmas present from my wife, and I'd feel bad getting rid of it.

I've seen steering-wheel mount versions, but haven't found any with good reviews yet. I'm not necessarily opposed to that idea, but I like the idea of the visor (or similar) mount for 2 reasons: First, it's easy to switch over to the wife's van for long trips. And Two, Visor makes it easy to tuckin the charging wire along the headliner, A-pilar, dash, etc. It'd be harder to run a pseudo-permanent charging wire to the steering wheel.

I've also though of just getting a BT ear bud, but then you've gotta mess around with putting it on before answering calls.

Thanks for all the ideas!

evans16

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Manual
I am in my truck 90% of the time and I use a blue ant. Its clear as day and easy to use. I have a mic in my car for bluetooth and it blows ass.. I will not go that route again.
For charging the blue ant, I plug it in for about 3 hours every 4 days as it is on all day..
I am satisfied with it!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals