• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan Clutch Replacement

martsco1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, got a question.
Replacing my fan clutch this morning and want to know if I really need to take off the triple pulley, or can I just use a strap to hold the pulley while turning the fan bolt clockwise? My 3.0L has a/c, two serpentine belts (one for a/c, waterpump and alt, one for p/s. None of the video's I've seen are anything like my truck. 3.0 liter vulcan 1991 with a/c.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
or can I just use a strap to hold the pulley while turning the fan bolt clockwise?
Depends. My bolt needed heat and helper to hold strap wrench. Using hammer on wrench is not very effective with strap wrench as strap absorbs much of blow energy. I made a tool to hold pulley with pulley bolts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most auto parts stores loan or rent the Ford tool set to loosen and tighten the fan clutch nut.
Strap wrench can work, but not always.

Yes, on 3.0l Clockwise will loosen, it should say this on the fan shroud or rad support plate where the belt diagram is located

Symptom of failing fan clutch is an engine vibration above 2,000rpms or rise in engine temp while stopped and then temp drops when air flow thru rad starts again via vehicle speed

Last edited:

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will wish you the best of luck on getting that fan clutch nut loose with a strap wrench! On my 2000 3.0 Ranger, I busted veins in my neck, used volcabulary I did not know I ever had stored in my brain, and all to no avail. I finally drove the truck to a local shop, and paid a mechanic 20 bucks to loosen it for me. It took him 10 minutes, and that was with the correct tool for the job. He figured the last person to replace the clutch was a 400 pound escaped gorrila on steriods.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's easy. You just need the have the right tools. I use a long metal bar with holes in it that fit under the pulley bolts to hold the pulley, and a 3/4" drive breaker bar to remove the nut. Strap wrenches are for plumbing. The only time I've ever used one on a car/truck was to remove an oil filter but there's better tools for that.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Strap wrenches work just fine on cars/trucks. Quit being such a snob.
But not for holding the pulley and breaking the fan clutch center bolt loose! I tried, but to no avail.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Strap wrenches work just fine on cars/trucks. Quit being such a snob.
What the hell does that mean? Just saying that there are better tools for the job in this case. That makes me a snob?? There are some minor things I'd use a strap wrench on for on a car but not the job being discussed here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals