• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Budget motor build questions

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stock '87 302 block bored .040 over(308 correct me if im wrong) with stock stroke pistons and rods and roller cam. I want to build a budget motor with mostly stock parts and what ever i can get free or cheap. I have a set of E7 heads and an edelbrock intake. I want to run a holley carb. It will be for the strip only. Im not looking for alot or horses just a consistant little motor. Im going to leave the short block alone. I want to port and polish the E7s and install a set of Proform roller rockers i got brand new in original package for $60. I reasearched and found the i can use the RRs but i would have to mill down the mounts the amount of the stud hex head and the thickness of the guide plate. Does any one know if this correct? Should i port and polish the E7s or just clean up the ports? I do not want to buy alluminum heads. I will be running a C4 trans. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Also i have a set of heads and cam from a 93 5.0HO mustang. Can i work the heads and use the HO cam with roller rockers with the stock '87 pistons with the valve reliefs. I will check piston to valve clearance and if i have enough could i shave the heads to get a little higher compression ratio? I have all this stuff already and i dont want to buy pistons. Or is this just one of those trial and error situations. These are just ideas i have and i have everything to put a motor together except gaskets. I mainly want to do this to prove that you dont have to spend alot of money on expensive parts to have a reliable consistant motor.

Sent from my iPhone while being bored

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Get the explorer gt40 heads, they have more flow then the e7 heads. I'm not sure what kind of heads the 93 have but I'm told thise are the cobras to have.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have the Cobra heads and cam, use them, come with roller rockers also.
93 Cobra motor specs
Cylinder heads:
GT-40 heads previously sold by Ford Motorsports SVO with 1.84 intake and 1.54 exhaust valves. Heads were milled from 64cc down to 62.5 cc to raise the compression ratio a bit although the official compression ratio is 9.0:1 and were topped off with a set of Crane 1.7 ratio full roller rockers. Heads used a pedestal type of mounting system for the rockers. Part number for the cylinder heads is F3ZZ-6049-B up till 04/13/93 and F4ZZ-6049-B after date 04/13/93

Camshaft:
Ford designed a new camshaft grind to bring back some of the low end torque that was now lost using these higher flowing cylinder heads. Part number for the cam is F3ZE-6250-CA. Specs are as follows:
Intake/Exhaust duration in degrees of crankshaft rotation: 270/270 and at 0.050 lift 209/209
Intake/Exhaust lift at valve with 1.7 rocker ratio: 0.479/0.479"
Lobe separation is 118.3 degrees with 115 intake lobe center and a 121.5 exhaust lobe center.
Timing events at 0.050 lift are:
Intake: (BTDC):-10.5 / (ABDC): 39.5
Exhaust: (BBDC): 46.0 / (ATDC): -17.0

Dave

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If they are 93 gt heads they will still be E7s but if they are the cobra the will be gt40s. Ported E7s when done right will flow about the same as gt40s but it takes a bit to get them there. The stock HO cam with 1.7s out performs the cobra cam in the higher rpms but not by much. I have ported E7s, 1.7s and a cobra cam in mine for now (while I build an aluminum headed 306). It idles like a crown vic and pulls good up to about 5200 but falls off fast after that. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals