• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

console idea

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks pretty good to me.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm gonna start riggin up a base, prolly using some sort of easy to work with foam like Hazmat used, then build it up then glass it; for my shifter, i think i will heat and bend my stock one and throw on a "black chrome" shift knobby as well. My 10" sub will be at the back facing my rear window, and i will have three gauges where the ashtray and powerpoint is..but first i gotta get my buckets in! any one have pointers about glassing at all (besides paitence, beer and a well-ventilated area :icon_rofl: )???

have you done anything glass wise koda?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope. But I wouldn't mind learning as well. People you should talk to about it (or wait and see if they get into this thread) are Destroyer000 and Hazmat. They're the only ones I've seen glass stuff. I usually stay out of these type threads because I lack the knowledge to give advice. Another member on here made his own glass fenders, can't remember who that was.

I'm tempted to build a glassed sub enclosure in the rear part of my cab.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
CopyKat made the fenders . . .

First off FF I would carefully plan and test fit/ Maybe try building something with cardboard and duct tape so you can put it in and see how things fit and make adjustments. If I was to do mine again I would have done more pre-planning. As it sits I cannot tilt my seats forward as it will hit the edge of the sub/console. Also you are wanting to put some gauges in front of your shifter, the way mine came out I could not put gauges there, but I guess you could make it shorter around the shifter and then slant up to the dash and have area for the gauges. Not a very good idea IMHO since you will have to look away from the road to read the gauges.

As for doing fiberglass - not that hard to do, just take your time and check out www.fiberglassforums.com best site EVER regarding FG works. But simply here is a quick run down on how I did mine.

Once you have a base or plug designed and have it sealed get your supplies together:

Resin & Hardener, Mat (Woven or Chopped Strand Mat), Stiff Brush, Mixing Cup, Latex/Nitrile Gloves. A roller is useful to help remove bubbles (U.S. Composites) and roll out excess resin.
Ok the first step is to brush out some resin, then lay the FG into the resin, using the stiff brush press the FG into the resin ensuring it "wets out" completely. If there is not enough resin, add a bit more with the brush. Keep moving over the plug in this manner, if you are quick and can get a single layer on at one time, start adding more FG and let it absorb the resin/add as needed and try to get more layers on. I put 4 layers inside my enclosure in one application adding a layer at a time and ensuring the were wetted out. Ok once you get is covered or the resin starts to kick (gel), let it sit until the resin cures completely. If you are going to enclose the sub area like I did you will need 6 - 8 layers on that section alone to withstand the pressures within the enclosure. The rest of the console will need to be strong enough to withstand any bumps or knocks by you or passengers. You will need to rough sand between applications to ensure adhesion between them, a rough once over with 36 or 40 grit will suffice. When you have it built up to the proper thickness it is time to sand and and filler. The better the filler you use, the easier it will be. Get it smooth as glass (no pun intended - LOL) if you are going to paint, if you want it wrapped with fabric then it can have some minor flaws as they will be covered. Well that and my build thread should help you out. If you have any other Qs PM or e-mail me and I will try to help. Do yourself a big big favor and check out that site I mentioned - do some research and you will be way a head before you even begin. Also get quality materials (US Composites) and you will be happier.

Good Luck

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
thinkin about your remark..i was toying with the idea of putting my gauges where my vents are, but then i would loose my precious air in the summer time (i have no a/c so it gets kinda warm on the more humid days lol). i now have this idea to maybe relocate the vents down to where the gauges are and puttin the gauges where the vents are...it'd be a bit but it might work????

but thats great thanks for the suggestions on the material and steps; i have two people who have glassed before to give me pointers so i think i'm just looking at alot of paitence haha!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals