• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After Market Steering Wheels?

Dany77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I wanted to upgrade my stock steering wheel (w/airbag but no cruise control buttons) to an after market Grant wheel. However, when I looked at the Grant website I couldn't find an adaptor that would fit my truck, 1995 Ford Ranger XLT. I e-mailed them and got a response back from their Customer Service Manager saying ;

"Sorry, but we do not make any installation kits for vehicles that came equipped with an airbag regardless if the bags have been removed or deployed it is against FEDERAL LAW for us to even inspect them"

Are there any companies out there that make an adaptor and steering wheel for my truck? Anyone got pictures of their aftermarket steering wheels they can post?

If I can't find one I might just resort to buying a new one from Ford... or maybe check out the wreckers again. But most of the time the wheels in the wreckers are in the same condition as mine. My grip is pretty much gone, it's as smooth as... well, you know :icon_confused:

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Dany77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the link.
Guess I'll just buy a new stock one. will probably get a new shift knob at the same time. I'll check ebay as well. Cheers

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
most of the time the adapter for an older range i the same. i did one on a celia with an airbag. the only downfall was that the horn didn't work. i have a 96 ranger and an adapter from an 86, and i am planning on putting it on tomorrow, so i'll let you know if it works or not.

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
installed today

i installed the steering wheel in my 96 today. i used a grant adapter out of an 86 ranger. (this does need to be modified)
here's what i statrted with

first remove the airbag. there are 2 covers on the side of the steeting wheel with 2 - 8mm bolts behind.

next remove the steering wheel its self. to do that you need a t-50 torx (the bolt in the center.)

then pull, wiggle it off(if you don't have a puller)

now that the wheel is off, you need to modify the adapter
from this,

to this to make the wires fit

and this

you also need to take the horn wires off the old steering wheel

also depending on the kit you get, you will most likely need to modify the filler gaurd to fit over the wires and the wire spool(white thing on the colum)
this will be a trial and error. could take fome time to get it perfect.

its not perfect yet, but the horn works and it stears the truck.
now it just needs some finishing touches, but thats probable the easiedst way to install an aftermarket wheel on a newer ranger with an airbag.

Dany77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey that was a great post to help prepare me for my swap. Thanks man. I think i'm going to try it. If it doesn't work then I'll just put my old wheel back on and go buy a new one from Ford. I'll try to post pics of the progress. Thanks again.

Cheers

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
no prob any time

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Curious......

most of the time the adapter for an older range i the same. i did one on a celia with an airbag. the only downfall was that the horn didn't work. i have a 96 ranger and an adapter from an 86, and i am planning on putting it on tomorrow, so i'll let you know if it works or not.
============================================
Fairly old post, but new interest............

I would think an adapter for a 93-94 Ranger would be the same, as they are the same body style 93-97, just 95 they added air bags......

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dear Gay Reader

The site to which the original inquirer was directed was to a site that has "lace-on" leather steering wheel covers - which is exactly what the Ranger XLT comes equipped with at the factory.

I had no idea that Ford was gay. Thanks for the clarification based on your experience.

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
super cool lace up guy.

The site to which the original inquirer was directed was to a site that has "lace-on" leather steering wheel covers - which is exactly what the Ranger XLT comes equipped with at the factory.

I had no idea that Ford was gay. Thanks for the clarification based on your experience.
No problem, glad I could clear that up for you.:icon_thumby:
My XLT did not come factory with a lace up cover, and had it I would have removed it before I even test drove the truck!
Do you think there might be a reason why Ford quit putting them in vehicles? and exactly when did they stop doing this?

As far as the lace on covers, my granny had one way back in 1985, but the original question was aftermarket steering wheel adapters, not silly lace up covers.

You may be right though, lets see how many people on any modding site anywhere that has one of those outdated and ugly lace up covers. Come on prove me wrong...Anybody?

Last edited:

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Steering Wheels

I'd just like to see you explain how Ford or any other car manufacturer offers real leather steering wheels without them being laced on? The site I referenced offers the material to replace or update your steering wheel to something that looks like a factory steering wheel.

What you are talking about is a J C Whitney perforated plastic - usually brown- and laced on with something called "gimp". The heavy duty string that holds on a leather steering wheel is called lacing. The 2008 Ford Truck I parked beside this morning had a laced on, leather steering wheel.

As for the original question - the individual that posted the thread wanted to upgrade his wheel with an aftermarket wheel - but was willing to pay Ford at last resort for a new wheel. Simply replacing the leather on his original wheel, might be cheaper, or better, or . . . and by the way, the red wheel in the pictures are laced on.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'd just like to see you explain how Ford or any other car manufacturer offers real leather steering wheels without them being laced on? The site I referenced offers the material to replace or update your steering wheel to something that looks like a factory steering wheel.

What you are talking about is a J C Whitney perforated plastic - usually brown- and laced on with something called "gimp". The heavy duty string that holds on a leather steering wheel is called lacing. The 2008 Ford Truck I parked beside this morning had a laced on, leather steering wheel.

As for the original question - the individual that posted the thread wanted to upgrade his wheel with an aftermarket wheel - but was willing to pay Ford at last resort for a new wheel. Simply replacing the leather on his original wheel, might be cheaper, or better, or . . . and by the way, the red wheel in the pictures are laced on.
I have that exact same Grant wheel in my ranger (same color even), and its definitely machine stitched with nylon thread, no lacing there.

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have no idea what your talking about, and I assure you that Grant wheel is NOT laced on.

The factory leather wheels are NOT laced on either, rather they are bonded then stitched with a sewing machine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals