• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 starting

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i finially finished my 302 swap. Its a carbed engine. I cant get it to start, however. I got the rotor pointing to the number 1 spark plug. I made the number 1 piston so its all the way up. Wires are in correct order. When i crank it , it doesnt sound like it wants to fire. I messed around with the distributer by turning it, but nothing. If i give it some gas it will make a sputter and then shoot a flame up the carb. Anybody have any tips on how to get it to start?

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you are still out of time. Pull the #1 plug and crank the engine by hand with your finger over the plug hole. Once you feel air use a screwdriver or something similar to feel the piston rise. Once you feel it stop, look at the timing pointer. You should be at or near 0* or TDC. Check the dist rotor and see if it is still pointing at #1. Try it again, if nothing check to make sure you have the correct firing order for your engine/cam combo. Are the plugs wet? Do the get good spark? Did you install a new cam? Those are the places to start.

Matt

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
yeah,sounds like you might have the distributor 180 degrees off,follow projectnightmares advice and you should be good to go.don't ask how i know.:blush:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the firing order right? HO and 351 cams have a different firing order than the regular old 302's.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
honestly i dont know if its an HO cam or not. Bought the engine off a friend and all he knows is its an e303. Ill try the 351 firing order to make sure. Ill also do what u said projectnitemare

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the E303 is an HO cam isnt it? it at least runs the HO fireing order. It does sound like you have things out of time, the flames supposed to go out the exaust, not up through the intake lol. Try to get the rotor vertical, rather then pointing it at the #1 cylinder. Get it straight up and down with the #1 at TDC compression, and it should bark to life. Also be sure its getting fuel.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
whats the HO firing order? I thought it was just a 302 vs 351 order...never knew there was one for an HO.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 got it! Ill try that first cuz its easy.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
tried it really quick. It seemed to wanted to start up better. Still flames up the intake lol. I didnt mess with the rotor position tho, just switched the wires around. I am going to mess around with it more tomorrow and throughout the week.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure you've got the rotor set to #1 cylinder on the compression stroke? Also remember that the distributor turns counterclockwise in Ford Windsor based engingine

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
E303 uses the 351W F.O.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is there an easier way to tell the TDC? I noticed on my crank it said BTC then i found a deep groove line in the crank, what do these both mean? I dont have access to a timing light , trying to do it based on the crank groove line if that means anything.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
there is a compressuion and exhaust stroke. you will end up at 0 on either stroke. you're probably on the wrong one.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
should the crank say 0 or TDC on it somewhere? All i saw was BTC, maybe i didnt look good enough.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright well....its not starting because it has NO spark. The breaker points are breaking good. Tested the coil with a VM (volt meter) and it shows voltage. My dad and I really are stumped on this.

could using the wrong firing order cause a no spark condition? We only tried the 302 order, not the HO order.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals