• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ford Ranger Speedometer, Check Engine, ABS problems.

Harper.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong category.

For the past few months I have had some issues with my 99 Ford Ranger. About six months ago my truck when stalled would make an obnoxiously loud screeching/hum sound. Talking with my dad we assumed it to be a problem with the engine belt slipping off and so I replaced it. A couple months after that my check engine light came on and so I drove down to Advance Auto and had them run a diagnostic test. The test showed that the O2 sensor needed to be replaced and so I changed out all three sensors and the light remained on. I took the advice from an associate and poured some Seafoam into my tank and the light went temporarily off but again came back on. I disconnected my battery in hopes the check engine light would reset and it did but kept coming back on. I again visited Advance Auto and their readings showed I needed to change my O2 sensors, even though I just did.

So for the past couple months I have just driven with my check engine light on. Some people have told me that until the code is cleared by a reader the light will not go away. Recently, the screeching/humming sound has come back every now and then and now not only when I am stalled but when I am driving slow. It has gotten to the point now it will get so loud that my truck just cuts itself off at stop lights. However I can just start it back up. I replaced the alternator thinking that may be the problem but still the sound has stuck around. Also I started noticing when I would get out of my truck the passenger side of the truck makes a loud creaky sound right about my tire when pressure gets put on it.

Most recently though I was driving on the highway using cruise control and my truck sort of jerked and my speedometer shot to 0mph, not moving at all, and my ABS light came on. My truck still functions normal I was able to accelerate and decelerate but my needle on the speedometer won't move and I cannot use my cruise control anymore.

It's just a lot of issues that I am experiencing and I feel like I have exhausted my reasonings and would like to hear of any solutions to these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals