• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger 5.0 running rich

sab24711

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hello everybody i have a 99 ranger that was a 4.0 now converted to a 96 expo 5.0 awd. I've had this swap running and driving for about 3 or 4 years, everything has been great. (16 mpg city:icon_hornsup:).

I have recently decided to fix problems that have occurred. A few being the a/c pump, egr valve and removing the return fuel rail for a non-return fuel rail. Reason being is i didn't like having a rubber line (showing signs of cracking) run the length of the truck. Stainless steel lines are expensive while hard lines are a pain to do. for now i have cut the rubber retun hose and capped it off.

moving on all the work is completed and the a/c blows ice cold:icon_thumby:. no more egr codes:icon_thumby:. no more rubber return line :icon_thumby:

the bad:annoyed:: p1451 evaporative emission system vent control circuit
p0172 system too rich (bank 1)
p0175 system too rich (bank 2)

question time! im getting confused if p1451 would make the engine run rich or perhaps would the non-return fuel rail cause issues. I am almost positive the evap vent is near the charcoal canister? I'm mainly confused where to start with the running rich issue.

oh and before the work was done there was only one code for the egr valve. any and all help would be appreciated. also if questions about my swap that could help you out im more than happy to help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Return fuel system used 35psi fuel pressure at the injectors/rail and used a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the rail hooked to the return line.

Returnless system used 65psi fuel pressure at the injectors/rail, and no FPR or Return line

The Computer is programmed for either 35psi or 65psi not both so you have to use the system/pressure the Computer is expecting.

If computer is expecting 35psi and there is 65psi then when it opened a fuel injector for 100millisecond(ms) then XXX amount of gasoline would squirt in, not the XX expected with only 35psi, and with XXX fuel O2 reports RICH

So computer reduces the injector open time to 90ms, then 80ms until O2 reports correct mix.
Computer then sets a RICH code because it has reduced the open time by 20%, in this example, which means something is wrong.
If computer had to open the injectors longer, i.e. 120ms, then it would set LEAN code

So I would assume your V8 computer is programmed for a 35psi return system

Never tried it but you may be able to install a 3rd party FPR by the fuel filter, set for 35-40psi

No, EVAP codes are emissions related so unless code was caused by a Vacuum leak on the engine intake it wouldn't effect engine operation
Did you plug the Return line?
That's an air leak when EVAP tries to apply negative pressure to the gas tank, like missing or loose gas cap, tank can't hold pressure

Last edited:

sab24711

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yes i cut the rubber line installed a bolt and used a hose clamp to seal it off. yes i know not very professional but thought it would do the trick for now. guess i will have to go back and double check. i did scratch my head when trying to reconnect the vacuum lines. i knew i had a line running across the top of the intake and now i don't. cant seem to remember how i ran those lines.

i wonder if i were to swap the fpr from the return rail to the returnless rail that it would that be enough to regulate the psi?. Or i could try and find a fuel pump that's close to the psi rating?? more research need to be done. im just trying to keep from using a long hose running from engine to tank. something about having that line there sketches me out.

just found this. might be my answer
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13102?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-aeromotive&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94WTiceg1QIV01YNCh1CPg_EEAkYASABEgLiUfD_BwE

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No to the fuel pump, I assume you have the stock or stock replacement pump in there now, it was used for the 35psi system, but with no regulator it can go higher, like above 50psi

Can't follow the link you posted but yes a 3rd party regulator can work.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, even the "returnless" system has both an fpr and a return.

On the so-called returnless system, the fpr is in the fuel tank with the return comming from the fuel filter.

It might be possible to find a 35 psi fpr to replace the in-tank one, move to a lower flow set of injectors or add a frame mounted external FPR with a return.

Last edited:

sab24711

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok just look at the returnless fuel rail now it has a regulator on the rail but it cant be unbolted like the return fuel rail. scratch that idea.
as of now i have the stock fuel pump in place.
im starting to think i need to put my old fuel system back in order. it worked but now i need to bite the bullet and buy a nicer return line. oh well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals