• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Sub Enclosure - Two 12's in a Single Cab

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had a single 12" sub in a pre-fab enclosure in my truck. The enclosure pushed the passenger seat pretty far forward. I had another sub so I decided to see if there was a box design that would allow for both subs without pushing the seats forward. After relocating the rear speakers into the doors - http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129372 - I was able to design a box that worked. Here is what I came up with.

It is divided into two chambers. Total volume is just shy of 2.5 cubic feet.

I cut the plastic panels and the carpeted panel in the back of the truck. The enclosure is wedged under the beam across the back under the window. The amp is connected to the subs and all four speakers. Running the wires was interesting.

The enclosure is back far enough that if it is pushing the seats forward at all it is minimal.

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice box! You don't need separate enclosures for the subs. They are fine to share the same volume of air. In fact, some times separating them will give each a slightly different tuning frequency. Most likely you'll never notice and the divider will help by adding plenty of bracing and reducing flex.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
looks good but I prob would have mounted the amp lower (like between the subs) so it is out of view as well as out of sunlight

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The amp is 7" x 2" x 19" and has a fan on the bottom so finding a spot for it wasn't easy. I don't really like where it is at but there were not a lot of options.

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
what subs and amp are you running? the subs look like older fusions?

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The system is a little hodge-podge. I bought the amp and just used stuff I had laying around. The subs are Fusion Encounters, around 10 years old. I have two pair of 3-way 6x9's. One set of Pioneer's and a set from Soundstorm. The amp is a 5-channel FLI. Overall, it sounds decent for what it is. I haven't had work for over three years. When I get regular income I think there are a fewchanges that need made.

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
i had a pair of fusion encounters the newer ones and they sounded like crap. i will never buy fusion again lol. and they were in a sealed box so i know it wasnt all box. my new JLs sound great in a box i built.

phlowtey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My two older brothers ran a car audio shop for a few years around 2002. It seems that a lot of companies that were decent then are hit or miss now for quality.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals