• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motor mount bolts

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm finally making progress on my 5.0L explorer, just finished bolting the transmission back in after getting it rebuilt and looked up at the starter hole just to notice that both engine mount bolts into the block are broke clean off... now I gotta figure out how to get those out and bolts back in... Hopefully getting this thing running this weekend...

That brings me to the question so I can go in prepared... What's the bolt size going up into the block on the passenger side? My guess is 3/8" by probably 3/4" maybe 1" long. It got late and windy while I was under there and just realized that the stock bolts were studs holding the trans cooler lines up, those are hanging down...

They don't look that hard to pull, not going to be fun but with an angle drill and some left hand bits maybe I'll get lucky after I jack up the engine and get the plate off...

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
pretty sure they're 7/16 by about an inch or inch and a quarter long

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, they're either 7/16" or 10mm, will figure that out tomorrow at work.

One bolt came right out, the other is being a bastage... drilled all the way through with a left hand bit, heated the boss with a propane torch and sprayed some WD40 (didn't have PB blaster handy) then heated again and wont budge, also tried a center punch pounding up that didn't help. Of course it drilled off center by a fair amount (apparently someone tried working on that bolt before but didn't get far) but is straight, might have enough room to drill a smaller hole next to the big one.

I'll give it another go tomorrow

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, I know the 2.3L pretty well but am very new to the 302...

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
Ive put 6 sbf in rbvs. You can do it!! (Waterboy reference)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm not working all night long :)

Definitely 7/16", have bolts and now have some PB and liquid wrench... gonna try that but I need to get the T case and trans cooler in before something gets in the lines or the tail housing... This is the 5th evening in a row, it's starting to get somewhere!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got it fixed last night, I was using left hand drill bits before and the biggest I had was 5/16" so I decided to just go to 3/8" with a normal drill bit and to my surprise the dang thing turned! Which really screwed up how it was drilling and the 3/8" bit was getting stopped. Then I had a brilliant idea of reverse grinding a junk normal drill bit to hopefully grab the bolt and turn it out but instead it just drilled nicely centered extremely slowly just scraping metal off like a file. Ran a tap to chase the threads and that pushed the remainder up and got it out. Ran a tap in and the threads seemed ok but weren't enough to hold a bolt so I tapped it to 1/2" and now the plate is holding the engine up!

There's a chance this dang thing will run today!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals