• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger projectors and hids confusion

rboutin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
96 ranger projectors and even more confusion

hello all, i am looking at buying these off ebay: LINKY and i am confused here. I really want a set of HIDs for them, but from what i could piece together, the projector part is my low beam and it will take some modding to make them work. and the big chrome part is my hi beam correct? How hard would it be to get the hid bulb into the projector housing? thanks all for ur replies!!

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm not sure but I think thats the way they are made but in that case I would just get the hid hi beams and leave the lows regular halogens. that way you aren't blinding people.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Those are going to work exactly like stock. the little round light will be the amber light, and the big one will be the stock headlight.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think if its a projector light that they wouldn't make the only projector part the turnsignal... I thought that too but I figured they were smart enough to make it a seperate bulb setup.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
The reflector part is your standard 9007 bulb with working high/low beam. The projector part is a halogen projector that uses a 35w(?) H3 bulb. The projector would have to be wired up separately. Someone did a write-up on installing a HID retrofit into one of those exact housings. This is the thread: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26149&.

Someone also did a review on how these housings perform and describes a mod to make the projector part better. That can be found here: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f40/93-97-ranger-hid-projector-headlights-271335.html

rboutin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
so to my understanding then, if i buy hids, i need the bi-xenon bulbs then right? then the hid will be in the big part of the housing. so what is the point of the projector then? If u put a hid in it, will i be able to use it as my normal headlights? And then use the the big reflector as my high beams?

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. If you want to you can wire it that way.

rboutin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
sorry i should have been a little more exact with my words, i mean are they gna be enough light for daily use as normal headlights? My neighbor has HIDs on her mazda 6, and they are sexy as hell, and my new truck is a 96 black ranger flareside ext cab with evrything blacked out, black rims, and red underglow, so i figured hids would lick sic with it too.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
sorry i should have been a little more exact with my words, i mean are they gna be enough light for daily use as normal headlights? My neighbor has HIDs on her mazda 6, and they are sexy as hell, and my new truck is a 96 black ranger flareside ext cab with evrything blacked out, black rims, and red underglow, so i figured hids would lick sic with it too.
Take a look at the second link 4 posts up. If you haven't already.

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
The smaller projector is actually considered an auxiliary light, and will not legally replace low beam headlights (I've been pulled over for driving with them on at night). I now have H3 LEDs in the projectors and a halogen/HID combo in the bigger lens, you can wire them either way.

I just uploaded some pics of my lights to my profile on here if you wanna take a look

Last edited:

rboutin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Im not too concerned with legality here. Undercar lights are illegal here and a lot of places and I've had cops come up and tell me how nice they look. So that being said, I am just mostly curious with a 6000 or 8000k hid kit will there be enough light output to see decent going down the road at night?

rboutin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok, so legality concerns aside, I am now confused about what hid kit to get. correct me if im wrong, but to have the projectors the low beams, and the reflectors high beams only, I would need 4 HID bulbs right? Now, is there a kit that has 9007 bulbs for the high beams, and h3 bulbs for the projectors? Or will I need to buy 2 HID kits?

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
You will probably have to buy two kits

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
If you are wiring the low beams on the projectors you will need two kits. One H3 for the projector and one 9007 for the reflector. You will want to get a bi xenon kit for the 9007, I believe nobody makes high beam only HID setups for 9007 bulbs. Take the low beam terminal out of the 9007 bulb socket and connect that to the harness for the H3 ballast with a ground. Then plug in the 9007 ballast to the stock bulb harness. That setup should work for you.

HabaneroB2500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I've looked into these. the projectors are NOT actually for headlights. they were intended to be fog lights that were mounted in the headlights. sounds ridiculous, i know. i thought the same thing when i looked them up for my friend when he had his 97.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals