• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 3-litre turbodiesel for Ford Ranger pickups

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
show me a decent looking truck in the 2008 line up besides the US ranger and Mazda. They are all ugly (especially the 2008 superduty). In a couple years all of the small and mid sized trucks will look the same like they already do over seas. I'm more concerned with power train. You guys bag on the Nissan alot but the Nissan and the Mazda are the only 2 that will build a 4x4 with the biggest optional engine and manual trans. The Nissan comes with a 6spd manual and a 6000#+ towing capacity.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the time you get that Nissan you would probably be further ahead and go ahead and get the Titan. I think the reason the small truck market is collapsing is they are getting big and expensive enough to compete with the fullsizes and come up short when it is all said and done.

The 4.0/5-speed manual Ranger is a late availability option for at least the FX4 this year.

If I bought a new truck this year based on looks alone it would be the 1500 GMC. The new F-150's wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for that overly deep bed.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The supercab Fx4 Off-road is the same price as a Nissan Frontier double cab SE 4x4 with a 6spd manual trans, limited slip front and back, and SE Value truck package. I didn't see a manual trans offering on ford's website for the 2008 Fx4. I don't want a Titan or an F-150 because the difference in price is about $7000 and I can't get either with a manual transmission (unless I want a 2wd F-150 standard cab with a V6) I would have no problem buying a ford if they would build the truck I want. Nissan makes the truck I want (minus the diesel), the truck that fits my needs and budget.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
you go to build and price though and its not available. by the time you ad super cab and tow package it comes out to $25,625. The Nissan double cab SE shortbox with SE Value truck pakage, 4wd, tow package, and 6spd manual it comes out to $25,555. Doesn't matter though, I not buying either anytime soon.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that build your own truck thing isn't the most accurate thing in the world.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the D44 better than the 8.8? I think they made 31 spline 8.8 standard in 4x4's. Ford did put the D44 in the front of pre '97 F-150's and 31 spline 8.8's in the rear, I would assume the stronger would go in the rear. Now they put 8.8's in both ends for the 4.2 and 4.6 trucks. The 5.4 ones get an 8.8 in the front and a 9.75 in the rear, that has to say something for the ol' 8.8.

I have heard the Titans had problems with the D44 holding up in the rear, they supposedly fixed it though.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Like the turbo diesel option, but that truck is fugly!

Looks like a CAR, not a TRUCK!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well it probably wouldn't hold up in the rear of a titan. but the difference between a D44 rear and an 8.8 rear is negligible and the D44 has more aftermarket support

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If they'd put a real bumper on it, it'd look much better. Personally I'd buy one, not sure if it'd be a standard or extended cab though. For those of you complaining about the full 4 door configuration, you do realize that it is also available in standard cab and extended cab right?

Actually I'm pretty sure I'd trade my 99 in on of those. I think I'd get one in extended cab and 4x4, but only if it's a diesel.

-Josh

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont see what everybody is so picky about and talkin about when ever somebody finds some pics of them overseas rangers. They dont neccesarily mean our USA Ranger will look anything like those. The next gen. Ranger could look similiar to whatever Ford is doing to the next lineup of the other trucks, look at the 08 SuperDuty's and so fourth. Hot Rod also mentioned word of the F150 gettting a refreshing in 09' (with the new "Boss" motor too i hope, same for mustang...) I'm not worried about what it is going to look like, or if it's going to be there or not.....a 3.0 Diesel would be awesome...just awesome. Yeah it's not going to be a stump pulling machine, come on it's a ranger, but it's still a turbo diesel, we can look forward to great fuel economy, and maybe some suprising power for a Ranger....plus It would be a Ranger with a Diesel I'd be pumped.

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
I would love a turbo diesel in my next truck. The bottom end torque of today's new diesel engines is great! Plus they don't stink like the powerstrokes do. I drove a Land Rover 110 in Australia with the diesel engine off road and could not believe the low end power. It would climb steep hills in 4 low at about 1500 rpm without any complaints. The Jeep Liberty diesel was also a great engine as well but got discontinued due to the tight emission regulations for 2008. It sure would be nice to see more diesel models offered in North America but i don't think the buying public are ready for it yet.

Derek

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
I love the new 2008 super duty trucks...especially the dually version. It looks beast. From what i've read, they are going to quit production for a short time and re-do the body for the rangers. If it looks anything like the body style of the 08 superduty, it will be a nice truck. And as far as the diesel part, as long as it is not, i think a diesel is the way to go. Better mileage, better power, and a longer lasting engine. I'm all for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals