• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Composite Conversion Lenses

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anybody recognize these?

https://www.larsenlights.com/-semi-sealed-lenses

Good deal or waste of money? HID on high beam good enough or is dual HID beam that much better (I hate meeting bright headlights so I don't want to do it to others) Sealed beams kinda suck, especially in deer country.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Looks to me that these are just semi-sealed housings that you add your own H4 bulbs to. Usta do the same thing with cibie conversion lenses in the 80's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For $25 they are. For extra you can get the HID kit.

We have had great luck with their LED bulbs for farm equipment.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Good to know. Need some led lights for my new toy: LS XR3135HC Tractor. I just noticed that the taillights are on anytime the tractor is running and they do get hot.

Since I seldom drive after dark, never been to interested in HID lighting. I run a pair of 100 watt Hella "Moose Lights" when I do.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good to know. Need some led lights for my new toy: LS XR3135HC Tractor. I just noticed that the taillights are on anytime the tractor is running and they do get hot.
Have had some guys complain they don't melt ice/snow off of themselves and keep it melted off like a halogen... something to keep in mind up there. :icon_bounceblue:

Right now my sealed beams are about like two old non-LED maglights. I don't do much night driving but when I do being able to see would be nice.

I have two 55w Hellas which are nice but are beyond rude with other traffic.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
High-beam only HIDs are undesirable. HID bulbs need to warm up like fluorescents and so when they are used for highs they rarely get to full power. This is why every factory system that uses high beam HIDs has a shutter to change high and low, rather than two bulbs.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Most folks around here run the gigantic LightForce off road lights. Just as long as they are tied in to your dimmer switch and you are considerate and quick to dim 'em, the Troopers don't say much. They do get pissy if you blind them though!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
High-beam only HIDs are undesirable. HID bulbs need to warm up like fluorescents and so when they are used for highs they rarely get to full power. This is why every factory system that uses high beam HIDs has a shutter to change high and low, rather than two bulbs.
This is all Greek to me, I have never really looked into HID's before. The replacement lenses only take one bulb, would that be similar? It wouldn't be like a newer vehicle that has the high beam and low beam in their own reflector.

Or would it be like the HID high and low beam kind of deal? Where the regular H4 bulbs keep the HID one warmed up, or is in the box itself that needs to get warmed up? In which case the HID hi/low would be the better deal (which like I said before I won't do because I don't want to be the @$$hole blinding everybody)

Edit: Did some more looking around, the shutter is a mechanical thing that moves parts in the light... makes sense. I think I am just going to go for the regular lenses.

Edit x2: Got to thinking about DOT compliance, shot them an email. Not patterned for trucks, offroad only.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, so a factory HID system will have one, single filament bulb that is for both high and low beam. There is a shutter inside the housing that pops up and down to block and redirect the beam to give you high and low beams. This is done because a HID bulb is like a stadium light, it has to be on for a few minutes before it gets to its full brightness, and as soon as you turn it off you have to start over getting it warmed up. A lot of cheaper conversion lenses that are actually for HIDs will retain a halogen bulb for the high beam if the vehicle originally had one bulb for each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals