• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! With Dana 35 with 44 outers

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
For those who have done the Dana 35 with 44 outer conversion I need help. I'm about to pull my hair out!

So I reemed the passenger beam and placed the axle, spindle, hub and locking hubs with no issues! But the driver side beam is giving me some problems. I can place the axle, spindle, and hub but when I try to install the warn locking hub it will not push past a certain point. I think I have the problem narrowed down to the axle shaft pressing hard to one side (bottom) of the spindle. The axel end is not centered in the spindle and has absolutely no give.
I'm thinking that the axle is still not centered in the knuckle. But I do not feel comfortable to reem any further than I have. Also I think the lower ball joint is out of room to reem any further.

Any advice here?

Gap.JPG

No Gap.JPG

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That looks to me like the knuckle actually needs to go down further for the axle to be centered. I don't know how much you got left, but I would suggest keep reaming.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
If it's pressing against the bottom of the spindle, I would figure that you've already gone too far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the knuckle slides into the beam from the bottoms of the ball joints. If it's sliding up too far, the shaft would bind on the bottom on the spindle.

Sorry :(

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are reaming out a cone shaped hole and have gone too far; I'm sure I've seen a cone shaped shim. I don't remember what application it was for and don't remember where I saw it.
Maybe that helps?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I would loosen the nuts on the ball joints and see if lowering the knuckle a little corrects the problem. If it doesn't then you need to go deeper.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I had to go out and look at mine again... I think you may be right Ledd, I guess I had in mind the ball joints were in the other direction.

Yeah, on further thought it does look like you might already be too far with it (op).
Maybe you can cut from something else another piece of metal having an original (un-reamed) hole that you can start over with (cut from another beam or maybe from part of an old knuckle or pitman arm), then weld that in place of the one you over-reamed (much like you would do while doing a cut-&-turn on a beam). Just an idea to maybe help you salvage what you got.

If you are reaming out a cone shaped hole and have gone too far; I'm sure I've seen a cone shaped shim. I don't remember what application it was for and don't remember where I saw it.
Maybe that helps?
I've seen shims that go into a straight hole that allow you to attach a tapered stud (TRE, etc.) to it (often used for "flipping" a tie rod to the other side of the knuckle). Maybe this is what you saw? (I'm not sure if I've seen a device specifically made for a hole that is reamed too far, though that isn't necessarily to say one doesn't exist).

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
shim stock, trimmed to fit? rolled up like a cone.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've seen shims that go into a straight hole that allow you to attach a tapered stud (TRE, etc.) to it (often used for "flipping" a tie rod to the other side of the knuckle). Maybe this is what you saw? (I'm not sure if I've seen a device specifically made for a hole that is reamed too far, though that isn't necessarily to say one doesn't exist).
That may be what I'm remembering.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Tapered insert sleeve.

Alternatively, you might be able drill out the hole to a much larger size, and have a machine shop make you a tapered sleeve if you can't find the correct one to fit. It'll need to be the right diamaeter and obviously, the same taper as the balljoint. Though, you could probably ream the insert out a touch and be fine, but I wouldn't go very far and let the sleeve get too thin.

All things said and done though...

It'll be pricier, but I think the better/easier/SAFER option is to source a new-to-you beam.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Update:

Crap guys... I kinda forgot about my thread.
I actually had not gone far enough. When I loosened the ball joint nuts and lowered the knuckle slightly, it did not make the issue go away. This made me realize that I had not gone far enough. I went back through the step by step directions and realized that I completely missed the part about cutting away the metal on the upper inside portion of both beams. Once I did this and reamed the caster/camber alignment sleeve it gave me the slack I needed to complete the install of the locking hubs.

All of your reply’s will help someone along the way! Thanks for the responses!!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
OOOK, I see what was going on now. So the extra roller bearing/bushing in the spindle was forcing the stub shaft down at an angle, binding on the bottom on the outer end.

Hadn't thought of that, well I learned something out of this.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
OOOK, I see what was going on now. So the extra roller bearing/bushing in the spindle was forcing the stub shaft down at an angle, binding on the bottom on the outer end.

Hadn't thought of that, well I learned something out of this.
Exactly!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals