• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer Gauge Help!!

dczerny90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, i have a 95 xlt super cab, automatic, 3.0 with 2WABS. My odometer will randomly cut in and out. Nothing i do helps it come or go at all. I've read most of the forums on here but didn't really see anything or anyone mentioning the really thin copper cable on the bottom of the cluster. What does this do and how can i remove it to replace my worm gear? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify, speedo works fine, it reads 4 mph higher (60mph = 56 actual)
If it helps, its a mechanical odometer, and I've already replaced the sensor in the cone of the trans and the diff.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Sounds like one of the little gears in the odometer itself is stripped partway.

If you can get it apart and find the gear, I've seen odd-sized ones for disc drives in computers be repaired by taking what was left of the gear press it into play-dough (or biscuit dough) a couple times to make a mold then just fill the mold with superglue or epoxy and you have a new plastic gear.

Edit: Looks like you already knew that. I'm an idiot.

Pics of the part in question?

dczerny90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You're definitely not an idiot lol. That's actually a genius idea and i'll have to try that before hunting down a new gear.

I've done some further research to find out the mysterious cable is actually the "shift indicator cable." It's the cable that makes that orange needle point to the gear you're in.

Do you have any idea how this is removed from the cluster without having to take the column apart?

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, I have a sticking tripometer, been hoping that maybe a little lube will free it up. Maybe some graphite since oil can mess up plastic. But if it is no good definatly like that idea there. maybe can repair a digit...or maybe...I can find another and steal digits from that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals