• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger wipers only work on high

oldschool59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have replaced wiper motor and multifunction control arm on the steering column. When I turn the wiper switch on, I can hear a clicking sound for every position coming from under the dash left of the ashtray all the way up to the high position. Wipers only work in the high position. What am I looking for ?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On my 88 there is a black box that connects into the wiper circuit and then out to the wiper motor. Sounds like what you're looking at...probably fried it and needs replacing...they are usually just a printed circuit with a few doodads for the various speeds so not likely something you could tear down and replace parts on...but might be worthwhile...

I have a 96 that I've been taking the dash apart and I think I saw this up where the glove box opening is...but I'm still checking everything out so not sure...

But on my 88 there is a way to disconnect the box so likely an easy replacement...if you can get at it...

If you don't have passenger air bags that cover on the dash is easy to pop out and have a look around...if you have air bags...make sure you disconnect the battery before poking around in there.

EDIT: I just checked the on-line manual and after 95 (so yours is excluded) these trucks used a GEM for a wide variety of functions...including the wipers...so you must have the older style.

If you want to read up on where this is you can try the on-line manual and just follow the steps...

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=url,uid

User ID: tech
Password: tech

Last edited:

oldschool59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark_88, I have located the clicking under the dash. It is just to the left of the ashtray. When I work the switch I reach up under the dash and can feel the clicking coming from a relay unit of some kind. Just can't get to or see what it is. Hoping I don't have to pull the dash.

oldschool59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FOUND IT !!!!!! Ended up being a module (motorcraft 17C476). Under dash,left of ashtray, next to ABS module. ABS module and module motorcraft 17C476 share same bracket. Wipers back in action.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool...did you replace the module or was it just disconnected?

If you had to for easier access, the radio/heater bezel comes out pretty easy...

Last edited:

oldschool59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark_88 - I replaced the module (motorcraft 17C476), and it was plugged in. I accessed it by removing the the dash panel and steel plate under the steering wheel. It can't be reached via the radio/heater bezel removal. The nut and bolts are on the wrong side of the ABS module bracket to come at it that way. Picked up the module motorcraft 17C476 from the salvage yard at no cost. Just had to go remove it.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to know, actually, and thanks for the feedback.

The older ones just sort of hang on a dash brace so they are fairly easy to yank out...and the older dash has an access panel that comes out easier than the 2nd and 3rd gen Rangers...makes me want to keep the old dash if I can, but I'm thinking it will have to be upgraded to accommodate the wiring for the new engine...ah, well...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals