• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford ranger cluster issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a ranger with the 2.5 i-4 and five speed manual transmission. The truck didn't have a tachometer so I found one in a 1999 Ford Explorer and swapped them out but now the issue I'm having is that the check gage light is on and my oil pressure gauge doesn't read right away and takes a couple minutes to start reading. Would I need to swap the slosh sensor from my old dash to make this one work or am I grabbing at straws?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The anti-slosh sensor is for the Fuel gauge.

I would go to the parts store and have then pull an oil pressure sender for your '99 and then an oil pressure sender for the '99 explorer

If they are not the same then get the '99 explorer sender and any "adapter" fitting you might need and install it on your engine.

'99 explorer may have had an oil level sender as well, this is on the side of the oil pan, if you don't have this sender then you might get a dash light for that, not sure if it was a normally open or normally close sender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok that makes sense ill do that as soon as I can.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did some looking online and the pressure switch was the same. is there any way to bypass that oil level sender or do I need to get a different cluster from either with the same motor?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do not know if '99 explorer even had the oil level sender option, just a guess because these were used off and on over the years.
If you have any details on the '99 explorer, like the motor size and trim you might be able to find out if that was an option.

Also when key is turned on Low Oil Level light should come on if so equipped.

Oil Pressure on Fords is an on or off setup, if oil pressure is above 6psi it will show about 1/2 on the gauge, below 6psi would show 0 on the gauge.
I would check oil pressure sender wire, just because it is easier than checking dash board wire, which you will need to do if oil pressure sender wire is ok.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the dash out at a you pull and the explorer had a 4.0 in it but I can't remember what trim level it was. If I have to I can always take the cluster out and swap it for one they had in a 1995 or 96 ranger that is out there. I almost think that might be best solution after checking the oil pressure wire. ill go check the wire quick and let you know.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Explorers had a low oil level and temp switch but it fed into the message center. I'd tend to blame something on the cluster, loose connection or so. Lots have switched clusters without a problem.
Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the wire on the sender is good and the gauge reads normally after couple minutes its just the initial start-up and drive that bothers me.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok ill pull the cluster and check it out this weekend. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry this is a little late but I did pull the dash and check all connections and the dash started to work but this afternoon the oil gauge started doing the same thing. Should I replace the sender or go for another cluster? This is getting ridiculous it shouldn't be this hard to get a factory piece to work properly.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
FWIW; I did the cluster swap to get the tach on my 2000 3.0. On a cold start up; my oil pressure gauge will suddenly start to work after about 1 - 2 miles of travel. This does not happen every time. I do get a check gauge light when this happens. My original cluster wasn't equipped w/ the check gauge light. My oil pressure gauge was lazy before the swap as it did the same thing then. I should probably replace the sender on the engine block. I hear that it's a bear to get to. I guess I' got more than a lazy gauge. Ha Ha!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah it is odd though the gauge wasn't lazy on the old cluster. I am going to see about pulling some other parts at the yard I got the cluster from and might see if they have any other parts or suggestions on what to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals