• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project, Zeus the Deuce

TheSouthernBird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
with my pony express project getting her final touches & back on the road,

Its time to drag the bronco in the shop.
I am starting with a 1989 bronco II EB edition. 2.9 auto. I picked up a few years back for a DD.. she now has over 200K on her original driveline & started laying down on me last week with a bad lifter tick & the trans starting to slip,...SOO its time to start the transformation into the jeep recovery vehicle I have been planning to build for a few years..:icon_welder:

for now, I drug home a 1988 BII to swap out some of the running gear,

swapping my 3.73's for 4.10
a open rear diff to a locked 7.5,
electric Tcase for manual,
& auto hubs to locking.

while the drivetrain is out & getting rebuilt, we will be adding a 4in suspension lift, installing new body bushing.. doing a few body mods, & fabbing up some skid plates & sliders.

still weighing out all my options for motor trans combos, along with a few other mods .. more to come..

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would definitely recommend the 4.0 swap. Did it in one of my 90's, will be doing it again.
Good luck.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
looks like a nice start :icon_thumby:

depending on what size tire you want to run.....you prolly need to reconsider your axle choices.....

a 8.8 swap ( preferably a 31 spline from an EX ) and a D35 would be the way to go on a budget if ya wanna run any tires bigger than 31's off road....

l8r, John

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dump the 7.5 and get an 8.8.

TheSouthernBird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea, I was considering going with a explorer donor.. but with my history with projects,.. I knew if I strayed too far from stock, I wouldn't stop there ...lol
if I went 8.8.. why not just use a 9'',.. if if I did a D35 why not just do a SAS.. 4.0=302 etc. etc..
last bronco I did, ended up with a 65 mustang body, a 351, & 3/4 ton running gear by the time we were done..lol .

so I decided today to go mild with this one as far as running gear goes. So its still a very streetable DD, with a bit better offroad performance than stock.. Since I plan on using it more for recreation with the family fishing,hunting etc.
I am only going to be running 31's or 32's.. & I didn't want to give up any ground clearance I would be gaining with that, by using bigger axles..
So hoping the 7.5 & D28 should hold up fine..
both are getting completely rebuild, & everything going back with new poly bushings, tie rod ends, leafs,coils, & warn hubs in the front..

still have big plans for it everywhere else, we will be fabbing up a luggage rack, light bars, bumpers, snorkle, armor, onboard air, etc.
Painting everything in OD green & satin black.

BUT
by going mild with this one,..
I do plan on taking the 88 & making a dedicated off road only trail boss out of it.,
once this one is done.. we will be putting all the goodies on that one..
9'' rear
SAS D44 front,
4.56 gears
C4

hoping for the best of both worlds..lol

TheSouthernBird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
first problem,.. cracked tcase... polls say the front plate off my 89 will work.. if its good..

parts truck deconstructions begins.. :icon_idea: got happy with the cutting wheel... but I have room to work now..lol.. can't wait for the plasma to get here...

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still going with a stock 4.0 isn't that much of a mod. I like the extra power.

TheSouthernBird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still going with a stock 4.0 isn't that much of a mod. I like the extra power.

true,.. a 4.0 would be nice..
I haven't taken anything to the machine shop yet.. to long block the 2.9 out like I want it. I am right at $900.00 without the headers & injectors.. thats with the machine work & a new set of WP heads..
I will figure up the 4.0 tomorrow...but most likely it will be in the 1,300.00 range..

honestly,
if I can find a 4.0 or even a 302 set up, donor with all the stuff i would need there, & reasonably priced before I do start in on it.
I still might pull an engine change off.. but with that, I know a 4.0 explorer donor will have the D35 & 8.8. & might as well do that..lol
:icon_confused:
who knows,.. Its really all a matter of what I have gathered up when I start putting the peaces together..

should have everything laid out in a few days... I can always come back & change some thing if I find better stuff later on..

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just found a 2wd explorer for 600. I need to find a 4wd one w a m5od and manual 1354 for my other b2

TheSouthernBird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea, If I was going to do it, I would want a 4x4 explorer preferably a 1991. I would try to get as close to the year as possible.. should make wiring less of a pain..
I found a good donor last night on CL, but it is several hours south.. & I don't have a car trailer....yet.. tow bill would be more than the truck..lol
that was the case in the V8 BII in Va. listed on here.. A $400.00 truck would cost me $700.00 to get it here...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals