• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Explorer Coils on the BII

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After installing some progressive rate Explorer coils and Bilstein HD's (front & rear), the front height went up about 3/4"...which is what I wanted. However, while driving the front corners tend to overreact and spring up quite a bit if I hit bumps or slight road indentations. Did I get too strong of a coil?...or any other suggestions???

I also noticed that by increasing the front end a tad, the sway bar is now quite a bit "unloaded". Wonder if there are modified brackets that would preload it more.

Thanks for your help!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm assuming you got it aligned after the new coils, so it is probably just bumpsteer. You might try just extending your sway bar links in the front, dunno if it would help or not though. My Skyjacker 6" kit came with extended swaybar links so you could probably buy aftermarket ones too.

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes...I had it realigned. The symptom really isn't bump steer as steering is not impacted at all. Is is more of a bump "launch". The Bilstein HDs I installed were for a BII, yet the coils are for an Explorer. Wouldn't you think there was sufficient expansion resistance on the Billies to compensate for the stronger spring rate of the Explorer springs? I'm at a total friggin' loss here.

Also, where would one get one inch longer sway links?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hmm. I am not really very knowledgeable about this stuff but my theory would be that the Ex springs are stiffer since they are built for a heavier vehicle. Therefore I guess it would make sense that they'd react the way you say it does, and if the shocks are valved to allow for more uptravel then that becomes part of the equation too. I may have this all wrong though so take it with a grain of salt.

Longer links - may have to just extend the ones you have, I think my Skyjacker ones were much longer than stock and I'm not sure if shorter ones are available in the aftermarket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals