• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gauge problems

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Yesterday I pulled my cluster apart to replace some burnt out lights. I didn't take the entire cluster out I just removed the gauges one by one. Since I have put it back together my speedometer is off by about 10 mph. So instead of 45 it's 55. Before it was about 2mph to slow because I have a little taller tire. I'm not sure what the issue is with the speedo as I'm not real familiar with the speedometer cables. Maybe I moved it wrong or something. Any help will be great!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 was last year of speedometer cables in rangers.
Does it go all the way down to 0mph when stopped?

There really is no adjustment you can mess up in the dash board as far as speedometer cable, the adjustment is the gear at the end of the cable in the trans.

So outside of accidentally moving the needle on it's pin or damaging the hair spring not sure what happened?

Google: how eddy-current speedometers work

Cable rotates a magnetic wheel inside the "speedometer's dial cap", these parts are not physically touching, the spinning magnet causes the dial cap to start moving and the needle goes up, the hair spring holds the dial cap back so needle isn't "jumpy" but is calibrated so speed of cable/magnet rotation reflects actual speed on the needle.

Last edited:

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Mine goes past 0 when I'm not moving. The little pin it rests on was broken off when I got the truck. I did accidentally hit the needle with my hand when I was changing a bulb and it moved a little. I'm not sure if that could cause the problem or not. Also when I'm backing up the needle goes way past zero and touches the bottom of the cluster. That also could be a issue

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would be it.
See if you can find a replacement gauge at wrecking yard, these types of gauges are all calibrated the same, the adjustment for axle ratio and wheel size is done with the gear at the transmission end of the speedo cable.

You can try resetting it but from what you described I think it would be a losing battle :)

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I have an explorer one if you wanted to make a deal

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
I was originally going to get just that little needle thing. But I'll get a whole cluster instead lol. Now can I roll back the miles to match mine? Or will that damage it. I know my old car, a crown victoria, I had to replace the speedo. And I couldn't roll the miles back cause it was tamper proof. Just want to make sure it's not the same deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals