• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flex Fuel and Evap help (C309 connector)

krylua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, and thanks for checking out the thread.

I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0 Flex, and I currently have two DTCs, the infamous P0176 and P1451. I highly suspect that the C309 connector is the one causing me the troubles (at least for the P0176 code) because I've bought a Flex Fuel sensor replicator from Point A Engineering and that did not resolve the issue.

I also have a replacement vent solenoid to hopefully resolve P1451, but here's where it gets tricky. I was able to disconnect and clean out the male part of the C309 connector and it looked decent. None of the pins were severely damaged and I took a soft brass brush along with some electrical contact cleaner to the pins and then applied dielectric grease to the pins and reconnected. I did notice that some of the wires had been cut next to the connector but on the loom they were connected to some cables coming out of a grommet next to the C309 connector.

However, when I tried to inspect the female side of the connector, under the driver's seat I noticed the wires for pins 5, 6, and 7 were cut and then routed through the grommet, essentially bypassing this connector.

Now, I understand that pins 1 and 5 are the two ground connections, both part of the same circuit (57) but I'm thinking that half of the components may use pin 1 and the other half use pin 5 to ground. Now the easy fix would be to just reground pin 5 however I have a few questions about this.

1. What are pins 6 and 7 used for? I want to know this so that I can know what is having the connector bypassed.
2. What are the connections for the fuel composition sensor? I found a reference of it being circuit 21 which would make it pin 20 (dark green/light green) but I want to confirm this.
3. What would you all suggest to resolve my two DTCs? Would just regrounding pin 5 resolve the issue? Should I look into bypassing pin 20 as well?

I apologize for the very long post, but I find that being as thorough as possible helps a ton. Also, I know a multimeter would help immensely in this however mine broke and I'm waiting for it's replacement.

Attachments

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I sent you the schematics, but did not look at your problem.

Once you've had a chance to look through them, if you discover that you need another page or 10, send me another PM. I still have the book. Don't be shocked if I send you photos of pages, rather than .pdfs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals