• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Swap conundrum..

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so here's the dealio. I have available for purchase a 1992 camaro z28 5.0L V8. If i do get it i'll need a new transmission obviously and a new rear end. I'm a 17 year old on minimum wage, but i enjoy working on cars/trucks. Would this be worth my time and money? I know i'll also need to get a wiring harness? And a new radiator i think? What about power steering pump and would i be able to keep my AC? Sorry i'm also kind of new at all this.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of people would tell you to search google for your swap, but you may be able to find some assistance here. Being that you are wanting to throw a chevy motor in a ford, you are in a category that very few are in with you. Because of that, you may find it difficult to get information so my recommendation would be to search, compile all of the things you find, and then read read read.

All of that said, a swap is a swap. For any swap, you have to pay attention to the principles swapping. You need ignition, compression and fuel for a motor to run. So, just ask yourself what you'd need to do to achieve those three things in your own swap.

You'll need (from the donor)
-computer
-engine harness
-the engine bay harness (to match sensors and splice where needed)
-motor mount fabrication
-driveshaft (8.8 compatible or donor dshaft modified to your needs)

As long as the computer can talk to the motor, you should be good to go. I don't see you running into too many other issues being a carbed motor (I dunno about the chevy's), so no anti-theft issues for you to worry about as that will be bypassed.

As for everything else, (radiator, accessory and reservoir placement, exhaust piping, vacuum routing), that is all on you to figure out what works best for your setup. I found in my "bolt in" 5.0 swap (explorer 5.0 to 01 ranger edge) that there were a lot of things I just didn't understand until I got in there and just started putting things together. As you are under the hood, things being referenced in what you read pertaining to the swap will make more sense once you have been staring at the same parts for while wondering how exactly they overcame your hurdles.

Wish you luck man

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ok, so here's the dealio. I have available for purchase a 1992 camaro z28 5.0L V8. If i do get it i'll need a new transmission obviously and a new rear end. I'm a 17 year old on minimum wage, but i enjoy working on cars/trucks. Would this be worth my time and money? I know i'll also need to get a wiring harness? And a new radiator i think? What about power steering pump and would i be able to keep my AC? Sorry i'm also kind of new at all this.

if i understand this right, you want to buy a 305? :icon_surprised:

:shok:

this is not a good plan. i would likely throw a 305 in the trash if it was given to me.

i would look to a modern 5.3 powertrain. 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 for what you are thinking about doing are the absolute best bang for buck.

careful shopping will net a low mileage donor system that will net awesome results.

apart from that the modern ford offerings for a bit more are pretty nice as well. i like the 3.7 v6 and those ecoboost offerings myself. but its hard to get 4x4 manual setups as they are not offered and tuning and wiring are not cost effective like the ls family from gm.

but i can say this...that 305 you are considering would bolt right into my ranger in just a few hours. pull the 6.5 out and the 305 would plop right in..the physical swap is not the hard part in any event.

look at this link.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor-tranny-t-case-performance/924402-gm-pcm-tunes-150-life.html

the array of options fora gm swap are ridiculously cost effective.

Last edited:

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What donor vehicles could i find that had a 4.8 or a 5.3. I'm not looking for insane amounts of power that would come from a 6.0 or 6.2 i'm not gonna be doing anything that crazy. And i have automatic transmission. And would like to keep it that way. I want something that has more power than the stock v6 found in my truck and something i could do some customization to.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think a 305 is really all that much of a whoo-hoo vs what you have already.

It will sound better but I don't think it would be much of an improvement otherwise.

The 5.3 came out in '99, I never really cared enough about the 4.8 to know exactly but it was in the same time frame (the '99+ bodystyle anyway)

Personally I wouldn't mess with it until you get more established in life. 17yo with limited funds... you will do it better with more experiance, research and funding. If your 4.0 is having problems they are usually a pretty decent engine, plug in another to get you by until you can do a V8 swap justice.

My swap was a dream for 10 years, I am very glad for it too. :icon_thumby:

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lets say i try and pursue this project anyway since i'm 17 yo and stubborn:thefinger:

What would your recommendations be?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You could probably use the transmission from a 4x4 s10 pickup or blazer. That would make the mechanical side normal swap problems. The wiring however could easily turn into a nightmare.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lets say i try and pursue this project anyway since i'm 17 yo and stubborn:thefinger:

What would your recommendations be?
My recommendation would be "Don't".

Smart people gave you good advice to pass on an engine that is at best mediocre, and not actually an improvement over your existing setup.

I understand being a stubborn 17 year old kid. Being stubborn doesn't mean you have to be stupid. Take their advice.

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok not the 305 swap. What about a bigger one that would be an improvement on what i have? What advice then?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well, at least its civil in here still:D i will do a general rant anyways.

as a stubborn 17 year old, i would have just done it. back then i had to drive around and call places to be insulted and made fun of face to face and on the phone as it was 10 years before internet was even a word.

i have been installing v8's in rangers since the 80's and people were telling my dumb ignorant 14-15 year old ass i couldnt do it if i tried.:dunno:

i have to admit i dont like when most people with no upgrade swap experience at all input drivel on the subjects, but it can be entertaining. (but guys like adsm08 are top notch, not sure if he has v8 swap experience)

like most people, my developmental years always had some bias. at first i preferred the carbs and keeping breeds pure where practical and compared to a dana 44 ttb was for fagz etc....typical ignorant silliness....guilty of all i am.

but in the end and generally speaking the 350 is as bolt in as the 302 when you have done these both.... of course you want the small dizzy ect for typical carb swaps but trial and error fitment isnt so bad depending on what your willing to do. i had/have a basic formula for 302 but its never identical either....

initially, most people always like swaps to look factory etc.....well i think most vehicles from the factory suck to do basic maintenance on, let alone incremental upgrades like heads and headers and cams as time goes on. so i prefer to make a rig easier to work on when at all possible during the build phase. and dont fear hacking stuff away to make those ends easier and this includes using body lifts etc.

things to remember when your 17 and looking for advice about building a ranger thing..

any ford rbv.....unless the frame is obviously rotted to death in or from the salt belt or ocean or whatever....it is a ruthlessly effective chassis for any engine swap. they are not weak.

whatever engine you choose, learn about its operating system...or at least the system you intend to operate it with. figure out what trans you want and t case if its 4x4. this means finding, buying and READING books relative to your goals....if you cant understand that....stop now and keep reading the last paragraph until you do.:thefinger:

a key to success is to assemble it all out of the truck and run it so you know how it all goes together and works. then fit it up to the chassis. of the current easy to get engines available the gm's and windsor fords have setups to easily make them stand alone in factory efi form..

the link i posted in my post above should contain all the things you need to know.

spend some time looking at all types of v8 swaps.

while looking at the various horseshit out here and there, try to remember this as well. especially when looking at a few other ranger boards...the best rigs i have seen, the owners do not have internet pages or talk much on these forums because of the endless supply of fawktards that spew crap even know they dont know their asses from a screwdriver.

i always see pure ignorance like, "i have only seen this many of this kind of swaps" so there are not many, or only x, xx and xxx have done that swap etc. there are or were dozens of repowered rangers in michigan and afew other states by my hands alone from the late 80's to the early 2000's....and i have seen repeatedly guys say they are super rare...only a few dozen around etc. there has to be hundreds here alone.

like i said initially, i would throw that 305 in the trash. if you want to use it, a good 4 bbl intake and small dizzy with a 500 cfm carb and 3550 trans combo from a 4.3 would install fairly easily. the camaro manifolds should work out ok as well. cooling isnt a huge issue either.

better money would be a 5.3 from a 2000 or so gm imo.

the ford 302 and 351 fit easiest of the fords. up to you. hell put a hemi in it if you want to be different.(not a real 60's or 70's hemi though)

i personally am very disappointed with fomoco. all they offer is extreme wallet job bullshit. and very limited bullshit at that. they been claiming for years to change that....but i dont see anything happening. :icon_confused:

gm makes HUGE EFFORTS to cost effectively and easily fit their powerplants into anything.

that speaks to me very plainly and clearly.

rant off.

now go read kid. its almost free.

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i lied. i was under the assumption that the engine was a 305. it's a 350 bored over 30 i think. Needs alt and power steering and one other thing. Rebuilt last year by a senior as his senior project and now the teacher wants to sell it. Still need details as to if he replaced the cam and pistons and other stuff as such. He would sell it to me for a rediculous price but the transmission would kill me then... He's willing to let it go for 1000 cause he just wants it out. It is said that it is rated for about 300 hp. :headbang: It also needs a carb. What carb would y'all recommend. I would also need either to order some engine mounts or fab some. Lets say i did this as next winter's project. How long do you guys think it would take? :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt sales of JY engines really bother any OEM very much...

Ford likes their OHC engines and cube for cube they do a pretty good job of making their pushrod counterparts look bad. Would you prefer a 420hp DOHC 5.0, 425hp pushrod 6.2 or 370hp pushrod 5.7 that all get about the same milage? They get 650hp out of a 5.8 that can still dodge the gas guzzler tax... from an OEM standpoint they are a very effecient design. They don't swap well... but new vehicle sales will easily trump out the few crate motors they will sell for swaps.

Personally I get sick of seeing a SBC stuffed into every thinkable thing at car shows.

My 302 is by no means a barn burner, the $200 it set me back wouldn't have gotten anything much hotter though. IMO it is very much enough for what I do, by all means I know there is hotter stuff out there but it isn't much of a slouch either. My brother's 2011 Mustang GT would tear it inside out... but I really don't want my lifted Ranger acting like his Mustang either.

I did try to make my 5.0 (pushrod) look like it came there, one of my goals was for it to not look like too much of a hack job. Since it is largely easier to work on than the 2.8 that it replaced I think I succeeded fairly well on both counts. I have had the heads off, changed the cam around... didn't seem too bad. It is a far easier and simpler engine to work on that the stupid 2.8.

It is also worth mentioning if you are going to be chasing 2000 era engines the pushrod 5.0 out of a 95-01 Explorer is as close to plug and play for your year of truck as you will find. I think it is SVTRanger (may be RangerSVT, I can never keep his handle straight) that has a really good write up on an Explorer 5.0 swap.

Research isn't just cheap, it is priceless. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

tyler.lee132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
85_Ranger
I've read on your swap and i loved it!! Very informational. Now the only reason i'm choosing the 350 instead of a ford equivalent is because it is available to me from a reliable source. I'm pretty anal and I will make it look good cause I would like to show it off a lot. I am planning to do a lift too at some point. That's not pertinent to this topic though.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I bought my 302 for 100, same as what 85_Ranger4x4 engine was. Now with the 900 you will have left over, you can build a 302 to have a bit of power.

I did my swap for a grand. You can wrecked explorers for 500-1000 bucks and basically have everything you need.

I do agree, it does get tiring to see 350s slapped into everything at car shows.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals