• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger 2wd ??? year needed

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
alright Im new well I posted once I got my 98reg cab 6ft bed 4 banger ranger

im looking to put a djm lowering kit 4/5 plus c notch on it which I have sitting in boxes in my garage

and looking to put on the 02 chrome top edge bumper with fogs which I just seen on this site wondering what the years range on the edge to bolt right on I will be going to the pickand pull aka junkyard

but im looking at axles at the moment what years am I looking for ?
I know there will be a L in factory axle tag for limited slip which is needed but im looking for disc brakes too but ill be getting that at the pick and pull to
just so

I can get it sitting just right knocking down the weeds haha

but with them ?'s above is in my plans to do this holiday break in the garage
so I need answers asap and thank you for all advise

but I got clear corner lens bed rail covers grill insert taillights to put on just sitting here in boxes o and new leaf springs as well its not much but its a start

now questions about removing control arms does my kit here have new nuts and bolts washers u know the whole 9 or do I need to get a grocery list to ford like bed bolts chamber bolts arm bolts shackle bolts shackles themselves ?

basically hardware ill need in live in Pittsburgh we got some nasty rusted autos here and well I know I need new u bolts regardless because of different width of axle tube but I would like in site please

like do I need new e brake cables? if so do I get ranger or explorer
since ill be going from drum to disc
I am aware of new brake lines that's a given

but all in all im looking for what year explorer to put in my 98 ranger
I plan on swapping seats dash and everything from the explorer into the ranger
like my ranger don't even have a/c now and well plan on getting it with the swap

but im looking to stay rwd only and should I just get a 2wd explorer? what year too?

like im trying to just find a complete running explorer right now instead of buying the rearend I might as well just pick up the whole damn truck but then again I might not find one in time and for a decent price before my holiday break

so please give me insight thank you
if you need any more info let me know too im game to hear it

I am a disabled veteran got a cool license plate to prove it haha or should I say hohoho

:icon_cheers::beer::beer::headbang:rsfloors

Attachments

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
i need help people

:beer::headbang::headbang:like I know some of you definitely have down this work and yes I know I asked a lot of questions but I really could use the insight please
and thank:icon_cheers::icon_surprised::icon_surprised::icon_surprised: you

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
First, you posted this in the V8 swap forum and gave yet to mention doing a v8 swap. I'll get that moved to the general forum since you have varied questions. Let's answer a few...
For year axles, you can get a 31 spline LS axle with disc brakes from any 95-01 explorer. Remember to check the gear ratio you have or want. New U bolts are required, don't forget the spring plated when you get the axle. Use the E brake cables from the disc axle. Brakeines, get a passenger flex line for the disc brake axle, put it on the driver side, then use the ranger axle hard & flex lines. There will be some slack in the hard lines when your done...
Front suspension components, use all new hardware/bolts....
98+ ranger's & 95+ explorers share the same front frame horn design, but I'm not sure if they are the same width, something you'll need to measure...

SVT

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
v8 swap yes

:icon_cheers::icon_cheers:im looking to do the swap just cant find to many 2 wheel drives

but just to just to get started I would like to lower it and well might as well
put the correct axle in it

what different gears r in these explorers?

what gears r in the ranger now ?
4cyl 2wd 98

all I know is only one tire spins and its always the light tire
kinda a real pain in the butt

but yes im wanting to swap a v8 2 wheel drive explorer
just looking for the best year or years that would fit

and ive read some forums on here
looking at ideas

and well the edge front bumper mod is definitely in the works too
just looking for years to search for

but yes I want to do a swap in 2014
:icon_hornsup:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gears in both the Ranger and Explorer can be any of many different options offered. Check the door tag, metal tag on differential or count driveshaft to wheel revolutions. Sounds like you are going to scrap the Explorer when done so either a 4x4 or 4x2 would work depending if you would want to use the Explorer auto trans. Have no idea of what all is included in your drop kit, only you would know.
For year, best would be '98' followed by '99-2001' Explorer.
Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you located? If your close enough, I'll swap you a 4x4 trans for a 2wd trans that I have, since you said you are having a difficult time finding a 2wd donor....
What will you be using the ranger for, towing, DD, sport, etc. Depending on your use and tire size will dictate which gear would be best for you to run...

SVT

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
figured 98 would be best but thou 01 good to know

ya im in Pittsburgh saw Tennessee that aint to far away
but im gonna buy a 2wd even if I have to get it in texas or florida
I need a vaca anyway and it will be rust free hopefully
and cheap and the right interior

but im still searching for a the perfect donor and yes ill send everything to the scrap yard or junkyard if they want it but probably not

I found a few rear ends today 250 damn and ill still have to buy new rotors and brakes probably I just talked to a guy over the phone since its a muddy mess now all the snow melted and it rained all day
but that's loaded in my truck out the door

but they had a few different gears to choose from
I haven't looked at the current ratio but ill look Monday
when its in the garage

ya im gonna try to take the bed off Monday and start this project wonder how rusted everything is and get the leaf springs off and all that good stuff
get it cleaned up and painted and c notched

just looking for a decent 02 edge front bumper im looking to get one with the chrome top and painted bottom does any other years bolt right up or close enough do know how a drill works
just don't want to have to weld on to much fab work

id like to show it for sure after I drop a v8 in it theres no body rust and well im gonna just fix it up until I can save a penny for paint

umm if I do pull anything its a tandem axle boat trailer or a utilty trailer for quads nothing to tongue heavy

and with the truck empty Its rare im in 5th gear coming up a hill on the highway anyway 130k miles on it but its rare I get to put it on the highway anyway so I think I could go with a high number on the ratio
but im not sure how that works I never had a choice I just went with whatever was in the car stock

and yes I want to use the factory transmission I get in the explorer manual or auto do they even make a manual idk id rather have manual

I gonna try to get this done on the cheaper side for now and with all ford factory parts if a can

even thou I just spent a few dollars on this djm kit but it needed new suspension ie why I got the hd leaf springs I do use the truck as a truck when need be but looking into adjustable shackles to now

im running 235 50 17 coopers on 03 cobra mags which the picture that u see
was the same tires but aftermarket elite rims just had a bent rim so I just replaced them all with the 03 mags but had to put wheel spacers on front because of hub and center caps still wont go back on

kinda disappointed about that i need to replace the rims again or put on different hubs or longer studs with like 1/2" spacers idk
I got the cheap advanced auto parts spacers on it now 3/16 I think

but yes I can use help im sure ill be having more questions come Monday 4sure
thanks again sorry for the book type response but im just hoping it goes smooth I guess idk
:icon_cheers:

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
spring plates check sorry and ill get them to give me the e brake cables tooo

and well ill be probably most definitely will be street racing a v8 ranger lol and burning tires until the pop you know fun car cruise stuff

this is gonna be my toy

a mini dually is the look im shooting for but that's in the future 15 to 18 " wide tires in the back u know goodtimez

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals